Failed to Import Shapefile, Invalid Shapefile

07-12-2011 12:45 PM
JosephRenzetti
New Contributor
When I export out a shapefile or create a new one, all of a sudden ArcGIS Explorer online is not able to import a shapefile. I keep getting an error box with the message, "Failed to Import Shapefile - Invalid Shapefile." I wish it would let me know why it was invalid. Anyone know of a solution to this? I had it working a few days ago.
Thanks.
0 Kudos
58 Replies
JamesScott4
New Contributor
Hi,
In trying to import a Shapefile I get the following message:
"Failed to import Shapefile.
HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component."

Can you help?

Thanks
0 Kudos
AndyMacDonald
New Contributor III
Hi,
In trying to import a Shapefile I get the following message:
"Failed to import Shapefile.
HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component."

Can you help?

Thanks

This shapefile appears to be corrupt. I am unable to view it in ArcMap. How did you create this shapefile?

Andy
0 Kudos
DanielSchmidt
New Contributor III
I am trying to import a shapefile of 44 counties.  I have dissolved them into one shape.  Each time I attempt to upload the shape (.zip) my browser (mozilla firefox 6.0.2) will not respond.  I waited for 30 minuets with no progress.  What is the issue?  I have attached the .zip file.  Any/all help/advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!
0 Kudos
DanielSchmidt
New Contributor III
I am trying to import a shapefile of 44 counties.  I have dissolved them into one shape.  Each time I attempt to upload the shape (.zip) my browser (mozilla firefox 6.0.2) will not respond.  I waited for 30 minuets with no progress.  What is the issue?  I have attached the .zip file.  Any/all help/advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Switched browser to ie and was able to upload file, however ie has issues with a script that will not allow me to save.  other solutions?
0 Kudos
DanielSchmidt
New Contributor III
Switched browser to ie and was able to upload file, however ie has issues with a script that will not allow me to save.  other solutions?

GOOGLE CHROME! The only browser that would upload and save the map!!!  Finally found a use for it!
0 Kudos
ShellyGill2
Occasional Contributor
In IE8, I can import the LPC.zip shapefile and save the map OK - took about 30 seconds to complete. I dont have that version of Firefox to check against I'm afraid.
0 Kudos
JamesScott4
New Contributor
This shapefile appears to be corrupt. I am unable to view it in ArcMap. How did you create this shapefile?

Andy

Hi Andy,
Thanks for responding.  The shapefile is parcel data for the portion of Beech Mountain that lies in Avery County.  I created it by clipping the Avery County Parcel data file from that county's tax mapping by our Beech Mountain Town limits.
0 Kudos
JamesScott4
New Contributor
Hi Andy,
Thanks for responding.  The shapefile is parcel data for the portion of Beech Mountain that lies in Avery County.  I created it by clipping the Avery County Parcel data file from that county's tax mapping by our Beech Mountain Town limits.

Sorry- forgot to mention that the file works fine for me in ArcGIS Desktop.  I use it all the time...
Thanks again!
0 Kudos
AndyMacDonald
New Contributor III
Sorry- forgot to mention that the file works fine for me in ArcGIS Desktop.  I use it all the time...
Thanks again!

Could you please re-post the shapefile?

Thanks,
Andy
0 Kudos
AllenRisley
Occasional Contributor II
I am also having difficulty uploading a particular shapefile.  I have uploaded many others with no problem.  The error message I get says: "Failed to import shapefile...Specified method is not supported."

The .zip file contains the correct files, they are named the same as the .zip file and are in the root of the .zip file.  It is a polygon file of agricultural areas, about 990 records.

Any ideas of what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Allen
0 Kudos