I import a shape file but I can't create a query with it. Why?

09-22-2011 07:19 PM
JiayoChiang
New Contributor
I download an San Francisco Elected District shaple (attached zip file).
The shape file import sucessful. "San Francisco District Test"
I would like to only show district number greater than 0 and not null.
Next I try to query. I got a message " There are no feature layers present in the map to define a query upon". I thought I have one imported shape layer.
Please help, thanks

Jiayo
0 Kudos
12 Replies
ShellyGill2
Occasional Contributor
I'm afraid queries on imported data is not currently supported, but we hope to add this in a future release. You can always add this suggestion at http://ideas.arcgis.com where other users can vote on its importance.
0 Kudos
JohnSweeney1
New Contributor
Shelly,

Is this still the case?  This would be an extremely useful functionality.

John Sweeney

I'm afraid queries on imported data is not currently supported, but we hope to add this in a future release. You can always add this suggestion at http://ideas.arcgis.com where other users can vote on its importance.

Shelly Gill
ESRI - ArcGIS Explorer Desktop and Online
0 Kudos
JohnSweeney1
New Contributor
Shelly,

Is this still the case?  This would be an extremely useful functionality.

John Sweeney

Shelly Gill
ESRI - ArcGIS Explorer Desktop and Online
0 Kudos
MikeRudden
New Contributor
Hi,

Queries are still not supported on imported data and unfortunately I don't have a timescale for this either.

If this is really important for you then you could consider signing up for ArcGIS for Organizations (i'm not sure if you'd be able to join the beta now as its release is not too far off) which allows you to import data to create a feature service, against which you would be able to run queries.

Mike
0 Kudos
JukkaHellen
New Contributor
It would be good if you could include "Queries are still not supported" in the error message
0 Kudos
marilynGinberg
New Contributor
I am trying to do the same thing - Is this functionality ever going to be added?  What good is adding a shapefile if you can't create a simple query against it.
0 Kudos
MartyByrne
New Contributor
It would be good if you could include "Queries are still not supported" in the error message

I strongly agree.  I just spent a good deal of time -- unneccessarily -- trying to figure out why my layers could not be queried.  The current message makes it sound as if the query would be possible, but that the current feature layers are missing some feature that would allow them to be queried.  It doesn't make sense that there is a button labeled "New Query", when queries are not supported.  Why is that function even there?
0 Kudos
StephanieDalton1
New Contributor
I have the same problem.  I could really use simple query functionality for my basic online map.  Otherwise users unfamiliar with the mapped area can only hope to click the correct location and find what they are searching for.

Thanks
0 Kudos
CharlesCao
New Contributor
Yeah, query and editing are the most commonly functions for GIS, if it's not supported by ArcGIS online, how can we use it?
0 Kudos