LABELS, ANNOTATION, & LAYER FILES IN ARCGIS EXPLORER ONLINE

02-26-2012 04:18 PM
ERMC2
by
New Contributor
Hi All,
I just recently started using arcgis for ipad, arcgis explorer online, mapviewer and explorer desktop and I would like advice from the pros on if what I believe to be true, is true.

1. Basically from what I have gathered thus far it is impossible to import a layer file created from arcview 10 into mapviewer, explorer online & arcgis for ipad correct? 
2. The only free product from Esri that can import a layer file is explorer desktop, correct?
3. It is impossible with only the arcview 10 to create labels that can then be displayed in mapviewer and explorer online, correct?
4. It is impossible to create labels from imported shapefile content in map viewer, explorer online, & explorer desktop, correct? 
5. Of all the free viewers/map creators from esri the only one that can display user created labels is explorer desktop and it is only possible by importing a layer file that labels had been previously created in, correct? 
6. Of all the free viewers/map creators from esri arcgis explorer online is the only one capable of styling a shapefile based on information found in the attribute table, correct?

If I am not correct about any of the above please let me know and then explain how to actually achieve what I said is unachievable, also please remember that I only have arcview 10 and not any of the other for purchase version of the esri products so the information contained in this link I can not do, just in case somebody decides to post it saying that auto generating labels from feature content is available. http://blogs.esri.com/support/blogs/mappingcenter/archive/2011/11/21/adding-labels-to-arcgis-online-...
0 Replies