Online and Desktop Locations don't match

06-29-2012 02:01 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: gdurkee

Hi: With luck, someone can tell me what went wrong here. I entered DMS in ArcGIS Explorer online as: 37 11 15N, 118 41 51W and it established a point in the middle of Darwin Lake (Kings Canyon National Park, CA, USA). I then entered the same coordinates in ArcGIS Explorer Desktop and got a point about 1/2 mile west of the AGX Online point. Desktop was set to NAD 83. That point also matched both Bing Maps and Google Earth. Attached are screenshots.

Anyone see either where I went wrong or why AGX Online gave that result?

Thanks,

George
0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: gdurkee

Aha! Edan Cain at Esri solved this for me. I had used the Community Based map as my basemap. As noted, the coordinates came out in the middle of the lake. Edan cleverly looked at the satellite imagery -- the topo map is incorrect. Apparently it was based on a winter or early spring image. The snow was incorrectly assumed to be part of the lake and extended too far. So the coordinates mapped correctly, but the base map had the feature (lake) wrong. This is the community map for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. A number of us did edits and corrections, but I don't remember noticing this one (Darwin Lake) as an error. In addition, different map sets are used for different zoom levels. As a side note, some trails and other infrastructure features don't show up until about 1:10000.

An interesting glitch and, though rare, one to be aware of.

g.
0 Kudos