query for ARCGIS online maps with out Explorer

01-13-2014 10:25 AM
MarkMcComb
New Contributor
Esri provided me with this information on how to build a query  for Maps in the new ARCGIS online minus explorer

1.       Open ArcCatalog
2.       Create a folder called Locators
3.       Right click in this folder and choose to create new Address Locator

*If this fails, you might have to Disable Back Ground Geoprocessing in ArcMap.

4.       Once this dialog box is open, you???ll set the locator type to ???General ??? Single Field??? and reference the feature class you want to search on as well as the field to search

5.       Do this for every Feature Class you want to search on
6.       Once done, right click in the folder and this time choose to create new ???Composite Address Locator???
Exercise outlining how to do this in the help
7.       When creating the composite locator, you???ll add the 5 locators you previously created.
8.       Right click the composite locator and choose to share as a Service, and publish it to your Server
9.       Visit your Rest Endpoint, and copy the GeocodeServer url
10.   Follow this workflow from the online help to add the locator to your ArcGIS Online Organization
a.       Set it as the top locator to use before you hit save
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JeffRyan3
New Contributor II
What about for the mobile apps?  Is there any way to use these locators there?

I can't create predefined searches anymore due to the retirement of ArcGIS Explorer Online (and the inability of Explorer to newly saved AGO Map Viewer maps) so I have no way to have querying functionality on my mobile devices.
0 Kudos
JustinRichardson
New Contributor III

I'm have the same problem.  I've been using arcGIS Explorer online to build my queries for my ArcGIS online maps for mobile devices.  Now that we can't use ArcGIS Explorer Online to open version 2.0 AGO maps I can't create queries.  Does anyone know of a workaround?

0 Kudos
JeffRyan3
New Contributor II

The way I'm doing it currently is to create the maps in Explorer Online including the queries and then save them when they're done.  The only issue with this is any work that needs to be done on the map must be done in Explorer.  The moment you save the map in ArcGIS Online it can't be opened in Explorer any longer.

It works for now until we get the ability change between locators in the Explorer app.  That's the only reason we're still using the old green app over the Explorer app at this point.  Hope that helps!

0 Kudos