Explorer Map Drawing Significantly Slower than Collector/Browser

11-07-2019 08:39 AM
RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

I am having an issue with the Explorer app (only tested on Android) when it draws feature services pulling from ArcGIS Enterprise. I am noticing significantly slower draw speeds/timeouts when using the Explorer app as opposed to using Collector or a web browser.

Most of the time, the maps stop drawing in Explorer and I get error messages in the server logs saying "Error performing query operation Wait time of the request to the service has expired." I don't receive this message or have any issues when accessing the map through Collector or the Portal web browser map viewer.

Is there a reason why Explorer would be much slower than the other applications?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

It could be a phone issue. If anything for me explorer is faster than collector because it is doing less.  Try uninstalling and reinstalling explorer.

0 Kudos
RyanUthoff

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling Explorer, but this is happening on multiple devices.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Ryan Uthoff

What version of Collector are you using? It might be worth trying to open your map in the Beta version of Collector for ArcGIS (Android) beta update. This would be built on a newer ArcGIS Runtime, which Explorer will be going to Beta on soon as well. There's a good chance the performance issue you're experiencing has been resolved as there has been a lot of runtime work in this area since we released Explorer.

As far as the feature service goes.. What version of Enterprise / Server are you using? How many features are in the service? Also, what is the max record count on the server? Feel free to reach out at jwhitney@esri.com and I can try to reproduce on my end.

Thanks,

Joel

0 Kudos
RyanUthoff

I am using Collector version 18.0.3 and Explorer version 18.1.0. I haven't tried using the beta version of Collector, but I can give that a shot to see if the performance decreases with that.

We're using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 and the feature service has a several thousand features, but the max record count is set to 5,000.

One thing I noticed is that the maps that are having issues in Explorer are maps that contain feature services with registered views with the database. So we would create a view in SSMS, then register that view with the database (through Esri). Maps that contain feature services without registered views don't appear to have this problem. It might be a coincidence, but this is the only thing that I've found that might be causing the issue.

0 Kudos