Large MMPK with Basemap in Explorer

03-07-2022 11:48 AM
k1mmek1mono
New Contributor II

Hi Everyon! I have been trying to  publish some detailed MMPKs in ArcPro, for use in Explorer. The issue is our basemaps, which are all tile maps are too large. Does anyone have a work around for this? We need tile maps (image maps as the base map), but we are looking to find a way to make the MMPK smaller. We have tried reducing/adjusting zoom range-this has not helped. 

We are using ArcPro 2.8 for the creation of the MMPKs. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

You can separate the basemaps from the data.

Generate a tile package (tpk, or tpkx) for the imagery and use as a basemap (either online or sideloaded to device). 

Then, create a mmpk from the rest of the data itself.

R_

0 Kudos
k1mmek1mono
New Contributor II

Hi there! Thank you for the tip, I am attempting to side load maps from Explorer now. Do you have any documentation on this?

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Copy Basemap to the Device

If there are multiple tpk/tpkx's in the folder, all of them will show as an available basemap.

R_

0 Kudos
k1mmek1mono
New Contributor II

I think this is where we are going wrong, we are not using TPK/TPKX format for our basemaps. I am trying to convert the basemap I clipped to TPK/TPKX but it is erroring out. I was also incorrect, we are using version 2.6.2- In reading the TPK Create Map Tile Package (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation information, it appears we need to be running at least version 2.8. 

I am still trying to find work-arounds as I do not know feasible side loading data would be on our devices. Thank you for the help! This has been very helpful! If you have any other insight please let me know :)!

Is there a way to convert a basemap to TPK/TPKX format in 2.6? I am not finding much documentation on the subject. 

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Guess I would need more info about what you are using/calling "basemaps".  What format are they?

Also, not sure what 2.6 had as they have removed the help documentation from anything older than  2.8, but pretty sure 2.6 had the capability.

I load my imagery into Pro, then "Share" menu, "Web Layer" tab, "Publish Web Layer" (with option to Cache locally).

that will create the tpk(x), copy to AGOL, and publish as a hosted tile layer.

Then, in AGOL, I download the tile package itself so that it is local on my computer, and then copy onto the device in the appropriate folder.

R_

ArcMap can create tpk's also.

0 Kudos
k1mmek1mono
New Contributor II

So to clear a few things up, we are not using host layers or ArcOnline, we are using Explorer so non of our layers are pushed to organization specific AGOL. 

the base map we were pulling from was https://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Imagery/MapServer

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

That is a tiled image service, and is not a supported input for creating a tpk(x).

I'm not aware of a way to "copy" ESRI's service data to your own system for this type of use (other than offline areas).

They do have a World Imagery for Export ( https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=226d23f076da478bba4589e7eae95952 ) but I don't see a way to download the tile package.  You would need to make a map with it, and download offline areas.

Not sure where you are, but a lot of places you can get free imagery data from the local govs (City/county/etc.) that might work to create your own tpk(x)'s.  Once you have some local data in Pro, you should then be able to generate a tpk(x).

R_

Also, can I assume you are using Explorer for Desktop?  If not, it has been discontinued, and you will find more support in the Field Maps arena (Field Maps has replaced Explorer for everything but Desktop).

However, you will have the same issues with Field Maps.

You are lucky to get ANY response at all in this forum, and there is pretty much zero documentation on Explorer (except, of course, the old, old, obsolete, never worth using version, which still has the support pages online )

k1mmek1mono
New Contributor II

Hi There, thank you very much for responding! I realize this was a long shot, and I really cannot thank you enough! I do realize Explorer is no longer supported, we are using both Explorer on mobile device, and on desktop. We have plans to switch to FieldMaps in the near future. 

I downloaded a base map to ArcMap to try to create TPKs. We will see how this goes!

Again! Thank you so much for your help! I realize this is a topic most would have no response on!

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor