Allow map authors to determine if markup tool is available

02-10-2021 03:45 AM
Labels (2)
BenWalker1
New Contributor III

Hi,

My idea might be annoying, especially after the team has spent hours creating great features, however, it would be great to be able to centrally control which features of ArcGIS Field Maps are available. for example on a project I am working on we do not want users to use the markup feature, and we would prefer that it was not available, rather than having to train users not to use it. We have over 1000 users and I just know they will create markup content that will languish in Portal, when they will be thinking someone else will address the fault they have markedup.

Markup is just an example, I am sure we will have the need to disable other features as well.

keep up the good work

Ben.

14 Comments
MarkEastwood

I'd also like to see the option to disable the Markup tool for specific maps be added. 

BertKraan1

I backed this in october 2021 and it's a pity it is still not implemented but 'in product plan'

This really hinders my coworkers. We are not all tech-savvy youngsters who were born with a cellphone in their hand. For some people complex visual stuff is, well, complex, especially when an app isn't used on a daily basis, and simplifying their experience by removing unwanted/surplus/confusing stuff is better.

What does your UI/UX team think of this?

JeffShaner

The ability to disable the Markup tool for specific maps will be available via a new App setting in Field Maps Designer. It will be available to ArcGIS Online users this week and to ArcGIS Enterprise users with the 11.3 release.

Disable Markup.png

BertKraan1

Well, @JeffShaner, after "disabling" markup in the field maps Designer I still see the markup layer in the layers so any change is invisible to me.

Furthermore, in webmaps where markup is 'active' disabling markup does not seem to make any difference. it still is 'active' afterwards.

I was hoping / expecting the markup layer could be made unavailable, not just 'not activated'.

This (unavailability) is also what the OP wrote and asked.

Regards,

Bert