ArcGIS Field Maps location sharing data accuracy

12-20-2023 05:07 PM
longcui
New Contributor II

Hi Folks, 

We are using iPad/iPhone with ArcGIS Field Maps (App Version 23.3.0, Build 1031) and the device integrated GNSS receiver. We found out the location sharing data accuracy is really bad when our field users pass under the bridge. I understand that the Field Maps will use Wi-Fi or cellular network when GPS signals is unavailable. However, even after our users have passed the bridge a while (over 1 hour), it seems like the field maps still uses the cellular network instead of GPS signals to provide location. Is there a way/settings at Field Maps to force Field Maps switch back to GPS signals?

Thanks

Long

0 Kudos
2 Replies
HollyTorpey_LSA
Occasional Contributor III

I had a chat with Apple support about this recently. They basically said that the only way to force use of GNSS would be to turn off wifi and cellular data in the iPhone settings. So you'd have to have already configured an offline field map, and your phone would then store the data locally and sync it when you restore access to a cellular or wifi signal (depending on your settings). This brings its own trade-offs, of course, because if you have a team collecting data, they won't be able to see each other's data on the map until everybody syncs, they won't be able to call each other, etc. So it's not ideal (though we do this frequently where cellular signals are just not available!).

I'm also curious whether you might be able to effectively filter out the triangulations by going into the Field Maps settings and reducing the minimum accuracy distance (under Collection Settings) to whatever horizontal accuracy the iPhone is typically getting from satellite sources. I haven't tested this but it might be worthwhile. It also might slow down your field data collection workflow to an unacceptable pace, but it's worth a try.

- Holly
0 Kudos
longcui
New Contributor II

Hi Holly, 

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, we can't go offline. It seems like we can turn off the "Mobile Network Search" setting to stop cell tower triangulation. At Field Maps, we will turn off the Battery Optimisation.  Hopefully it will solve the problem.

Regards

Long

0 Kudos