Coded Value Domains based on SubTypes not showing for fields

Jump to solution
03-22-2022 07:40 AM
KeithGanzenmuller
Occasional Contributor II

I have an infrastructure related featureclass that has heights and widths which are doubles. They have coded value domains of type double that change depending on subtype.

I am trying to use the featureclass in Field Maps. Ideally the employee would pick a value, in this case of type Double, from a dropdown list of acceptable values from the coded value domain.
Usually works great for text fields but doesn't seem to work with numeric (double). I get an input box of type Number - Double that requires direct input with no way to set a dropdown list. Seems to do the same when editing in the new map viewer. Don't think I've ever run across this before. Are dropdown lists not available for non-text coded domains?

The domains based on the subtypes do seem to be present in the published service (ArcGIS Server) as shown by this partial copy, the subtype field is "Type"

Types:ID: 1
Name: Box
Domains:

• TYPE:
    Inherited
  • MATERIAL:
    Inherited
  • InspCompl:
    Inherited
  • Culvert_Width:
    Coded Values: [3: 3 ft] , [4: 4 ft] , [5: 5 ft] , ...7 more...
  • Culvert_Height:
    Coded Values: [3: 3 ft] , [4: 4 ft] , [5: 5 ft] , ...9 more...
  • Culvert_Material:
    Inherited
  • Culvert_Condition:
    Inherited
  • End_Treatment:
    Inherited

ID: 2
Name: Arch - RCP
Domains:

• TYPE:
    Inherited
  • MATERIAL:
    Inherited
  • InspCompl:
    Inherited
  • Culvert_Width:
    Coded Values: [18: 18 in] , [22: 22 in] , [26: 26 in] , ...14 more...
  • Culvert_Height:
    Coded Values: [11: 11 in] , [13.5: 13 1/2 In] , [15.5: 15 1/2 in] , ...14 more...
  • Culvert_Material:
    Inherited
  • Culvert_Condition:
    Inherited
  • End_Treatment:
    Inherited

ID: 3
Name: Arch - CMP

Domains:
    • TYPE:
      Inherited
    • MATERIAL:
      Inherited
    • InspCompl:
      Inherited
    • Culvert_Width:
      Coded Values: [18: 18 in] , [22: 22 in] , [25: 25 in] , ...10 more...
    • Culvert_Height:
      Coded Values: [11: 11 in] , [13: 13 in] , [16: 16 in] , ...10 more...
    • Culvert_Material:
      Inherited
    • Culvert_Condition:
      Inherited
    • End_Treatment:
      Inherited

Any ideas greatly appreciated

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Keith,

I've had a very similar issue. I found that if I published the feature with symbology based on Subtype then everything would work fine. But if I tried to publish with symbology based on any other field, or with a custom expression, then my coded domains wouldn't come across. The user would not be presented with a dropdown and instead would have to know the coded domain value to enter.

I worked with support for quite a while and eventually logged a bug. It's been sitting 'In Review' since 11/28.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Keith,

I've had a very similar issue. I found that if I published the feature with symbology based on Subtype then everything would work fine. But if I tried to publish with symbology based on any other field, or with a custom expression, then my coded domains wouldn't come across. The user would not be presented with a dropdown and instead would have to know the coded domain value to enter.

I worked with support for quite a while and eventually logged a bug. It's been sitting 'In Review' since 11/28.

KeithGanzenmuller

Interesting. I will make some changes based on your experience and try it again. 

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello,

@Anonymous User can you share the incident or bug number of the issue you logged with Support?

@KeithGanzenmuller Can you invite the "craig_sp" user to a group that has the feature layer in it so we an take a look?

thank you,

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

#BUG-000144855

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

thanks @Anonymous User looks like it was submitted to feature service team to look at first; so it's not yet made it to our team to review.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I should also mention that this issue depends on how the domains are used. If an attribute has the same domain across all subtypes then it doesn't matter how it was published. But if an attribute has different domains across subtypes then the issue will present itself if published using any other field except the subtype.

You can see in my attachment the Lifecycle_Status would come through because it's the same domain across all subtypes. But the Diameter would not work because it differs between subtypes.

This wasn't really an issue until we moved to the UN. Before we used subtypes and domains but we used the same domain across all subtypes. But since the UN has consolidated separate features into one feature, now the domains of the same attribute will differ between subtypes.

0 Kudos
KeithGanzenmuller

I will say, for me, symbolizing by the unique values of the Subtype and republising worked and the unique coded value domains are available in Field Maps. Of note, they don't show as a combo box when configuring  Field Maps but in the app during collection it displays a coded value list.

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

All, I'd like to get a repro case so we can look at this to diagnose and solve the issue. I know this is not always possible with Portal - but please reach out to me at cgillgrass@esri.com so we can work through what you're seeing.

thank you,

0 Kudos
PierreloupDucroix

Hello,

I still have the same issue in 11.1

Working with UN asset group as subtypes. I want to publish a service with only one asset group, and a symbology based on the asset type.

I added a definition query to get only one subtype :

PierreloupDucroix_0-1710473608953.png

Also, for every feature template I specified the same asset group :

PierreloupDucroix_1-1710474357032.png

But, one published, the asset group field only shows the code (no domain), and the asset type field shows the correct domain, but other domains assigned to this specific subtype do not show in the web editor or map viewer.

PierreloupDucroix_2-1710474628895.png

Thanks

0 Kudos