Field Maps coded value domains/choice lists from hosted CSV?

10-18-2023 02:28 PM
EvanR
by
New Contributor III
In Survey123, you can define a choice list as a hosted CSV file, which makes it easy to share a single list (park codes, observers, species, etc.) across multiple surveys, and means you can update the list without needing to re-publish each of the individual surveys that use it. Is there a way to do the same thing to define choice lists/coded value domains for Field Maps forms? My searches have turned up nothing so far, but it sure would be useful. If it's not possible currently I will submit a feature request.

Thanks,
Evan
NPS
5 Replies
LayerItOn
New Contributor III

Hi @EvanR, not as far as I know, but I would love this feature!  Perhaps someone else may have some insight. 

What I end up doing is have a master list in google sheets that I keep updated. Every time I have new updates to the list I download it as a .csv. Then in field maps I click the combo boxes that need updating > click on "edit list" > then drag and drop the .csv into the list editing pop-up window. 

Screenshot 2023-12-05 113510.pngScreenshot 2023-12-05 113456.png

But I need to repeat this step 20+ times since I have  multiple combo boxes that use the same dropdown list.

EvanR
by
New Contributor III

Thanks for the suggestion - that's an improvement on our existing workflow. Does the csv just need "code" and "label" fields in order for the tool to recognize it?

I think pulling from a hosted csv should be submitted as an "Idea" for a feature request, as I haven't found any way to do that (including asking an ESRI rep). I will work on that when I have a chance, or would be happy for someone else to submit the request and I will support it. @LayerItOn, sounds like you have an even stronger use case for this feature than I do.

LayerItOn
New Contributor III

Woo! Glad to help 🙂 

So technically: label is what the data collector sees and then code is what gets recorded in the attribute table. However, even though I set it up this way, my attribute table still records the label value and not the code. I am assuming this is a bug- Documentation about form configuration and list of values Screenshot 2023-12-05 115734.png

Anyways- the .csv needs to be formatted a specific way for the drag & drop option to work.  More info about it here. 

Ultimately what I do is create a two column list in Google Sheets. Do not include headers (it will turn into a list option). Even if you want the label and the code to be the same value, you still need two columns for field maps to read it correctly. 

Screenshot 2023-12-05 120559.pngScreenshot 2023-12-05 120445.png

Make sure to organize the list A-Z (or however you need to organize it) prior to dropping it into field maps so it is easier for your field data collectors. 

Then in google sheets I go to file> download > .csv. 

Screenshot 2023-12-05 120726.png

Then I drag and drop that badboy into the field map's "edit list" pop-up window. 

Hmmm, it may have already been requested as an idea for Field maps (I think I have seen it before but not sure), but I would totally support it too! 

0 Kudos
LayerItOn
New Contributor III

@EvanR It doesn't look like it has been a suggested idea yet for Field Maps. Added it- https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-field-maps-ideas/hosted-csv-choice-list-for-field-maps/idi-p/13...

EvanR
by
New Contributor III

Great, thanks! And thank you for the additional details about the CSV drag-and-drop option.