question after webinar "Maximize efficiency with Fieldmaps"

2 weeks ago
GTRLC3110
New Contributor

I recently developed a new field data collection tool that uses a Survey123 form and a feature report. After viewing the recent webinar Maximize efficiency with Fieldmaps, it made me wonder what the benefits and drawbacks are to using a Survey123 form (~49:00) versus the Field Maps Designer form builder (~18:00). One thing I was confused about in the demo was if the Survey123 data analysis and report were using a layer that utilized a Field Maps form or if I missed something there. 

I developed a photo point collector form in Survey123 with the express purpose of the feature report function (and a layer that had a "point number" field for labeling purposes). Now I'm wondering if I could have just used a FieldMaps form instead! One of the drawbacks of the way I have it currently set up is that you can't see the Survey123 form results live until they are "sent" from the outbox. In other words, you can't simultaneously collect data offline AND see it in a map with other offline layers.

2 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It would be nice if you could use and Hosted layer in the 123 tools for sure.  I think you can get around this by having the form out there tied to a service then just use that service in a Field Maps form also.  No real reason you cannot.  They are both just dumping data into the same place.

The main reason to use 123 is its forms can be way more complex.  Also I have found it to be much more reliable.  Sync errors in Field Maps get tiring.  Also not needing to bring down a basemap you can just collect anywhere.

GTRLC3110
New Contributor

It's good to know that the survey123 form allows more complex formatting - and I think that might be applicable to my scenario. I designed it in Survey123 Connect with the goal of having quality attribute data, including photo file naming. 

I'm not sure I completely understand you - and I think this relates back to my original question about the @esri  webinar. Did the survey123 form in the webinar use the existing feature layer and form designed in Field Maps designer? 

@DougBrowning wrote:

It would be nice if you could use and Hosted layer in the 123 tools for sure.  I think you can get around this by having the form out there tied to a service then just use that service in a Field Maps form also.  No real reason you cannot.  They are both just dumping data into the same place.

0 Kudos