Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Field Maps, Bad Elf not better that integrated?

09-18-2023 07:52 AM
JohnMorgan
Occasional Contributor

Hello, 

I have tried my GPS Pro+ (handled) on my Android and iPad. I can get it to work as the Location provider with/ no issue now. However, the accuracy at best will be like 5m, while my Android phone, for instance, might get 3m accuracy. Is this normal behavior, or am I missing some additional steps in my setup? 

Thanks, 

Derek

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
clt_cabq
Occasional Contributor III

I would be a bit surprised if you are getting 3m accuracy with your android phone, and while I am not familiar personally with the Bad Elf unit (it is discontinued and not supported, BE doesn't even provide specs on its website) my experience is that unless you are measuring against known geodetic control you really don't know what your GPS accuracy is and typically manufacturer estimates are 'generous' at best. Unless there are interventions (such as a subscription service providing corrections) there is generally very little you can do to improve your accuracy.

JohnMorgan
Occasional Contributor

Hello. Interestingly enough, it is only showing 12.8 m w/ my Android phone now. So perhaps you are correct in that regard. Also, you are correct in that, as far as I can tell, the Bad Elf unit is discontinued, which may be problematic. Do you perhaps have a suggestion on what I could purchase to replace these units for a small research project I am carrying out with students? Ideally, this would be something under $500 if it exists. 

Thanks, 

derek

0 Kudos
JohnMorgan
Occasional Contributor

It appears this Esri page needs to be updated as it does still list Bad Elf GPS Pro+

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/field-maps/android/help/high-accuracy-data-collection.htm#ESRI_SECTION2_49...

I am thinking that the GLO 2 would be a good option to tether to Android or iPad for FieldMaps usage: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/645104

0 Kudos