ArcGIS for autocad update a web feature layer from an enterprise geodatabase

Jump to solution
03-20-2023 07:02 AM
lmatteo
New Contributor III

Hello everyone,

I have an entreprise geodatabase which is accessible throught the ArcGIS portal and I have to use one of the layers in AutoCAD with the ArcGIS for AutoCAD plugin. I can open and view the layer as a web feature layer but I can't edit it, it's limited to read only.

I can extract the web feature layer into a document layer in the AutoCAD plugin and then, I can convert it into an hosted web feature layer editable.

My question is that I would like to edit this layer to update the initial web feature layer which is stored inside the enterprise geodatabase.

I think I'm missing something, but I can't figured out how to update the feature layer from the geodatabase enterprise.

Thank you so much for any advices 🙂

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanWade
Esri Contributor

Hello,

I would suggest talking with the GIS Analyst or manager that published the Feature Service you would like to edit in ArcGIS for AutoCAD. This layer does not have the edit capability enabled, therefore in AFA you see the "Read only" icon.

Once the service is updated to allow editing then you will be able to edit and synchronize updated from AFA.

ArcGIS for AutoCAD > Edit a feature layer

When you extracted the original feature layer you really wanted to edit, but can't, then published to a hosted feature layer we now have a completely different layer. I would ask to see if that original Feature Service can be updated to allow editing.

Kind regards,

Dan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanWade
Esri Contributor

Hello,

I would suggest talking with the GIS Analyst or manager that published the Feature Service you would like to edit in ArcGIS for AutoCAD. This layer does not have the edit capability enabled, therefore in AFA you see the "Read only" icon.

Once the service is updated to allow editing then you will be able to edit and synchronize updated from AFA.

ArcGIS for AutoCAD > Edit a feature layer

When you extracted the original feature layer you really wanted to edit, but can't, then published to a hosted feature layer we now have a completely different layer. I would ask to see if that original Feature Service can be updated to allow editing.

Kind regards,

Dan

0 Kudos
lmatteo
New Contributor III

Thanks for your answer,

Ok, but actually we do not really have a manager to deal with this and I am the administrator of the database and its' me that published the enterprise database into the portal.
I didn't found where to chose the "privilege" for the dataset ?

To published the database into the portal I used the sde configuration files directly from the Portal : "add an element" > "add repository dataset".

From arcgis pro, I can edit all the layers of the database (connected with the same sde file)

0 Kudos
DanWade
Esri Contributor

Hello Lmatteo,

When working with a Feature Service and enterprise geodatabase we are looking for and configuring user access privilege's. Below are two ArcGIS help documents to get you started. We are outside the realm of ArcGIS for AutoCAD and if you have additional questions related to these permission questions I highly recommend submitting an Esri Support case with Enterprise support since we a working with ArcGIS Enterprise and publishing workflows.

Share a web feature layer
Prepare data to publish a feature service 

lmatteo
New Contributor III

Thanks, it was very helpful for me 🙂 I change the privilege and could edit the layer easily on autocad

0 Kudos
VaibhavS
New Contributor III

Hello 

ArcGIS for AutoCAD provides access to ArcGIS feature data shared through ArcGIS web services that can be edited, modified, or updated within Autodesk AutoCAD using standard AutoCAD commands. These web feature layers can be synchronized with the editable web services, if you have editing permissions.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-for-autocad/latest/manage/web-feature-layers.htm

Edit a feature layer

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-for-autocad/latest/manage/edit-feature-layers.htm

VaibhavS