Can the Excel map be filtered if the web map has a filter set?

09-04-2023 06:40 PM
MikeOnzay
Occasional Contributor III

First time using this product.

After geocoding the addresses in a spreadsheet, I shared the map to my account. I didn't find a filter tool in Layers so I added the filter in Map Viewer. However, it doesn't appear that it is showing in the Excel map. I tried reloading the map but that didn't work. Is this possible?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

Good morning @MikeOnzay! Thank you for your question. Can you help clarify what exactly your workflow is? When you refer to filter, do you mean 'apply filter' or 'create a filter' expression? See Apply filters for more. 

In ArcGIS for Excel, you can filter/sort when searching for content/feature layers to add to the map. So to answer your question, we do not currently have a tool for 'create filter' expressions as seen in Map Viewer but there may be a workflow using Excel filtering and our ArcGIS for Excel add-in that may work. I will wait for your reply for understand more! 

-SC

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos
MikeOnzay
Occasional Contributor III

I understand that there isn't a Create Filter option in the ArcGIS for Excel map. I did discover that it is possible to select features on the map and it will filter the spreadsheet. I was going to say that it's not possible to filter the spreadsheet and have it filter the map, however, when I filter on a column in Excel, while the same number of points are showing on the map, the popup values don't correspond with the filtered Excel rows. A new issue to troubleshoot.

0 Kudos
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

Hello @MikeOnzay! I have tested a few workflows here based on the suggested workflow from your comment. Here are my findings - 

Workflow 1: If I select features I have 2 options: Filter sheet or Export. 

Workflow 2: If I filter a spreadsheet (hide a row/column or delete/add) without refreshing my web page/map the pop-ups and features on the map will NOT update (sync automatically). Once I refresh I see the corrected map. Pop-ups included.

Workflow 3: If I add my data to the map, and make any edits (hide row/column or delete/add) this will not automatically sync but if I re-add my data all is well again. Pop-ups included.

All 3 workflows are what is expected. I suppose this can 'feel' a bit broken but refreshing the web page/map to refresh whatever it is you are looking at is quite the typical workflow. Anyhoo, let me know if I missed something or if you have any other questions on this!

Again thanks for your feedback!

-SC

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos