How do I geocode a new address and add it to the previous geocoded layer?

Jump to solution
09-04-2023 07:08 PM
MikeOnzay
Occasional Contributor III

First time using this product.

I have a spreadsheet that adds customer information, including an address, to an Excel spreadsheet through a separate process automatically. I manually geocoded this spreadsheet to create a layer and to display the map. However, as new addresses are being added to the spreadsheet, I want these locations to be added automatically to the existing layer. 

Is this possible? 

EDIT: Michael Bishopp posted this same question in October 2022. The answer was No. Has anything changed since then?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeOnzay

I understand that it is possible to update the attribute values of existing attributes in the spreadsheet. And it is possible to push those changes up to a feature layer but it is not possible to geocode a new record so it adds to the existing feature layer. 

I have since learned how to use the ArcGIS connectors for power automate:  find address candidate and create record in feature layer. I've added these steps to the end of my current flow that is writing the customer address and other details to the spreadsheet. I know now that I could add this map into Excel so the user could interact with it. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

Hey @MikeOnzay Thank you for using ArcGIS for Excel. We appreciate you taking the time to get to know our product. You can refresh your map (essentially refresh the web page) and the map will be updated with your edits. Be sure to have your data in a table and have clean, concise data, meaning column 1 data is the same, column 2 is the same or however, you'd name your fields (or for example | city | state | zip) Data integrity is key!

ShannonCardoza_0-1694020302520.png

Let me know how this goes or if any further questions arise. 

-SC

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos
MikeOnzay

I understand that it is possible to update the attribute values of existing attributes in the spreadsheet. And it is possible to push those changes up to a feature layer but it is not possible to geocode a new record so it adds to the existing feature layer. 

I have since learned how to use the ArcGIS connectors for power automate:  find address candidate and create record in feature layer. I've added these steps to the end of my current flow that is writing the customer address and other details to the spreadsheet. I know now that I could add this map into Excel so the user could interact with it. 

0 Kudos
LindaSlattery
Occasional Contributor

I would really like to see the ability to add a new row of data to a feature layer in Excel and have it geocode. I thought when I was at ESRI UC they said you could do it. Is this something that will be added? 

0 Kudos
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

Good morning @LindaSlattery thank you for the inquiry. You are able to add a row/column in Excel but will need to add the data layer in its entirety to see 'edits'. What session (or something else) did you hear this at UC? Maybe I can elaborate more.

Best, 

SC

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos
LindaSlattery
Occasional Contributor

@ShannonCardoza , thanks for the quick reply. I don't remember the name of the session, but it was the one where they were talking about all of the Microsoft add-ins. I remember them talking about how you will use credits for geocoding, so I assume that meant a new record. I am not sure what you mean by "adding the layer in it's entirety". Is this different than just adding the layer from the map while in Excel? When I started typing in new information in a new row, I got an error that the operation wasn't supported. But I was able to modify an existing record, so I know the connection works. The screen shot below came from this site: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-for-excel/announcements/add-and-edit-arcgis-layer-a...

LindaSlattery_0-1700585482780.png

0 Kudos
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

I got it now @LindaSlattery  you are adding/editing from ArcGIS Online (+ArcGIS), whereas I was referring to adding a layer from Excel (+Excel). 

At this time we only have one-way sync so the inserting a new row operation is not supported. 

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos
LindaSlattery
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the confirmation @ShannonCardoza . Do you know if that is planned and when? Also curious if that is ESRI that does that or Microsoft.

0 Kudos
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

@LindaSlattery You're welcome. It is not on the roadmap at this time. And Add attribute data is Esri. 😊

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos