JSON Formatting in ArcGIS for Excel

01-03-2022 05:32 PM
AndrewFaulkner
New Contributor

Hi, I am trying to create line features with the ArcGIS for Excel extension, from a JSON file I have exported from ArcGIS Pro. With reference to the screenshots attached, can anyone advise how I need to reformat the JSON (using power query editor or other means) in order for ArcGIS for Excel to recognise the JSON geometry?

2022-01-04 12_24_02-SolutionMaster_MAP_GS.xlsx - Excel.png

2022-01-04 12_24_48-Map 1.png

  

Many Thanks,

Andrew

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello!

It maybe that the geometry isn't getting formatted properly as it imports into Excel. We have a connector now for Power Automate that will properly format the JSON so that you do not have to perform any gymnastics in Power Query. 

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/power-bi/announcements/arcgis-connectors-in-power-automate...

If you have the time, I'd love to discuss your workflows to see if theres anything else we can do to support you. Feel free to DM me your contact info so we can connect.

Cheers,

Andrew

0 Kudos
AshmithaNihar
New Contributor

Can You help me with the same. I have to import a json file and view the geometry in excel. I'm stuck quiet from the beginning. Please help me

0 Kudos
Yuchen111
New Contributor

Hi!

Thanks for introducing power automate to us. 

Could you please just show us maybe a screenshot of a properly formatted geometry in excel? Since currently I'm only focusing on solving my problem via excel.

So far I believe I share the same question as Andrew does. If I didn't guess wrong, I think what we want is an example of a correctly & properly formatted column (or a couple of columns) in Excel that can be recgonised by Arcgis for Excel to show features like lines and polygons in the map. 

We don't have trouble dealing with points simply because a pair of lng-lat coordinates are valid enough to visualise its location.  But in case of lines and polygons, it's not enough anymore, which leads us to try geojson file instead.

Thank you!

Yuchen

0 Kudos
Gaurav-Singh
Esri Contributor

Attached EsriJSON sample datasets (points, polygons, and polylines) that works with ArcGIS for Excel. Hope it helps.

GauravSingh_2-1710953413473.png

You may use the ArcGIS Pro tool 'Feature to JSON' to convert features to Esri JSON format - https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/3.1/tool-reference/conversion/features-to-json.htm

ArcGIS for Excel Team
0 Kudos