New to automate - anything to be wary of?

05-30-2023 04:03 PM
elpinguino
Occasional Contributor III

Hi community,

I've just gotten access to Microsoft Automate. I used to set up automations with Make/Integromat.

I've set up a flow so every time an S123 record gets submitted a row in an Excel table gets updated in Sharepoint.

Because I'm new to Microsoft Automate I wondered if there's anything I should be wary of? Like would is there the possibility it will eat up a lot of credits because the layer is always being watched?

Or does anyone have any good videos, templates or resources they recommend for Automate/ESRI users?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AlagiriVenkatachal
Esri Contributor

Hi @elpinguino ,

This may be because the connection (token) may have expired for the Survey 123 trigger to ArcGIS Online and hence it is not able to retrieve the list of surveys into the dropdown. You can check the "Data" > "Connections" menu in Power Automate and find the Survey 123 connection, click the "..." to switch connection and re-authenticate with ArcGIS Online. This should potential fix this issue

RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I had never once had issues with the token expiring until I started using the Create Report function, does the Survey123 token expire on a regular interval? Is it for the trigger or the Report action?

If it keeps expiring that really ruins a bunch of really cool flows I have built. If it is a defined 14 day timeout (that I don't see documented anywhere) are there plans to fix it like the ArcGIS connector Sean is speaking on?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
elpinguino
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for your reply @AlagiriVenkatachal . I work across a couple of ArcGIS Online accounts. We are using Survey123 in all of them. Once I made sure I was signed into the Survey123 for this account on another tab, and then checked my connection/ resigned in as you suggested above I was able to see the dropdowns I need. Automate may have thought I was trying to access a different AGOL accounts' S123.

0 Kudos
NataliyaLys
Occasional Contributor II

I'm new to Power Automate, started using it over a month ago. I have a number of flows set up, all using ArcGIS online connector. Yesterday  I noticed that all my flows failed. The errors that I got looks like token expiration issue. 

NataliyaLys_0-1698159859448.png

I reset my ArcGIS online connection and 'resubmitted' each flow, and so I'm back to were I started. Kind of. 

The problem is that I have some flows that get triggered when feaure is created. So even if I fixed the connection issue, I'm now left with features that were not updated by power automate (power automate assigns some values to features when they get created) and email with updates didn't get send, since the flow is triggered on feauture creation.  I wonder if there is some work around for this. 

Is there anyway to get notified then the token gets expired? Because if  I wouldn't have checked, i would have never known that it expired. Hopefully in a day or two some of my users would have notified me that they are not getting emails, that power automate is supposted to sent then features are updated. 

Appreciate any ideas suggestion on how to handle the token expiration issue. 

Thank you.

Nataliya

0 Kudos