"When a record is updated in a feature layer" Trigger Not Working With Survey123 Updates

01-06-2023 08:43 AM
MikalaRandich2
New Contributor

Hello,

I am attempting to have the "When a record is updated in a feature layer" trigger send an email when a change to the feature data is made to a Survey123 form submission. The trigger works when data is updated in ArcGIS Online or by other workflows, however it does not work when the data is updated via the workflow: Survey123 data page -> select record -> "edit this record" -> update record -> "Submit". Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SeanKMcGinnis
Esri Contributor

Hello @MikalaRandich2 - we have not encountered this issue before but we will test it to see if we can replicate it.

I am wondering if it is related to the bug we recently discovered and working on a fix. Here is some more detail on the issue that led to the bug's discovery.

-sean
Sean McGinnis - ArcGIS for Microsoft 365 Product Manager
0 Kudos
SeanKMcGinnis
Esri Contributor

A question for you @MikalaRandich2 - I have encountered instances where the feature layer is not triggering the webhook because the survey is editing a view and not the parent feature layer. Can you confirm the layer that is being edited is the one expected?

-sean
0 Kudos
KaraUtter
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @SeanKMcGinnis I am using a view for my Survey123 and I would like for this process to work. Is there a fix for it? I need for the power automate flow to work when a new survey is submitted as well as when the form is updated and submitted at a later date.

SeanKMcGinnis
Esri Contributor

@KaraUtter - I have many instances of Power Automate flows using the ArcGIS Connector's record created trigger running against the submission of a Survey123 form. Can you please provide some additional details?

The most common problem I have seen when people encounter this error is that the Survey123 for is not submitting to the feature layer, but instead a view. In those cases, it is the view that is initiating the webhook and not the feature layer.

-sean
0 Kudos
KaraUtter
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @SeanKMcGinnis , I am using a view. When someone opens a form for an already-existing feature and updates the form and resubmits it, the power automate flow does not trigger. It will only trigger when a brand-new submission is completed. 

0 Kudos
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

If you're using the Survey123 trigger (green) not the ArcGIS trigger (yellow) you have to go to the survey settings in survey123.arcgis.com, go to your surveys, select the one you're looking at, go to settings, then go to webhooks, under operations there's the little pencil symbol for editing, and in there you have to check on the option for Trigger events "Existing record edited".

I see what seems to be a similar post here as well perhaps? Hosted views not providing changesURL or layerID - Esri Community

SayedWali
New Contributor III

This is the correct answer. That tick box in the webhook works perfectly.

JasminePrater
Occasional Contributor II

This worked for us to send an email whenever a survey is updated and your detailed response made it easy to follow.  Thank you!