Legend component for ESRI PowerBI Visual

09-13-2021 08:49 AM
LeonidFradkin
New Contributor II

Hello. 

I was really glad and impressed when I found the ESRI visual in PowerBI.  However, the largest limitations of using this visual is that it does not have a legend option.  I can develop a very sophisticated and user friendly map  using SQL data and PowerBI ability to transform data.  However, without showing to the users a legend what each of my symbols mean, this map is dead.

I understood that this is probably is not very easy task.  However, I would really appreciate if you would consider to modify ESRI visual in PowerBI, adding a legend component. 

Thank you,

Leonid Fradkin PhD.

Information Systems Manager

Los Angeles County Office of Education

4 Comments
by Anonymous User

It would be interesting to learn more about this case. You can display the layer list, which helps the viewer understand the rendering of the data, and even anchor it in the map so that its always visible. Have you explored these options yet, and can explain why they may not work for your use case?

GDonaldson

Hi,

The legend option would be helpful because anchoring the layer list takes up a considerable portion of the map visual if you want to display any other data on your report. A simple legend along the bottom showing one field would be ideal. 

GDonaldson_0-1655228586220.png

KevinDunlop

I would like to have the ability to turn on a legend and snap it to a side and/or corner.  Most of the time we are using only 1-2 reference layers since PBI can't handle polygons at this time.  These are normally gradient color symbols.  Our leadership wants to be able to see the values when the map is loaded. 

Our current workaround is to take a screenshot of the legend then add it next to the visualization.  If we add it on top then the data can get covered up.  In addition, since this is a static screenshot the problem becomes if the symbology (mainly the break points) change, someone has to remember to take a new screenshot.

GDonaldson

Wondering if you could provide an update on this case? It is hard for report users to find the legend, as it auto collapses and it's not intuitive to search for the legend under the field dropdown as per my image above where it is titled "coordinates". Thanks!