ArcGIS for PowerBI

08-21-2023 03:16 AM
NisreenAlhindi
New Contributor II

Could anyone clarify how I can connect to Microsoft Power BI without using any CSV files using ArcGIS Online hosted feature layer? 

Please note that I am able to connect to all the features using ArcGIS For the PowerBI tool in the software but I need to use the fields and the data without exporting it as an excel sheet.

I hope my idea is clear.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Nisreen

0 Kudos
17 Replies
ZacharyHart
Occasional Contributor III

@Faiez Could you expand on this a bit please? are we providing a portal content URL, a service URL? Does this apply to web maps or only hosted feature layers...???

0 Kudos
Faiez
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Zachary!

Yes, we  can do many things with Microsoft Power BI, We can connect ArcGIS Online features hosted or other data to MS Power BI  or vice versa from MS Power BI to ArcGIS Online.

1. Here is example from ArcGIS Online to MS Power BI.

a. 

Faiez_0-1698703419374.png

b. 

Faiez_1-1698703482509.png

c. 

Faiez_2-1698703517435.png

2. In MS Power BI, after cleaning data or joining tables and finally publishing your data, you can embed it to website or portal, publish it to web or save it to PDF.

Faiez_3-1698705098599.png

Faiez_4-1698705116394.png

Best,

Faiez

0 Kudos
VojtěchAndrš
New Contributor II

Hello Faiez,

please, could you explain how to do the process the opposite way? That means getting data from Power Bi automatically to ArcGIS Online?

Thank you,
Vojtěch

0 Kudos
Faiez
by

Hi!

When you successfully done step 1. (Get data into Power BI) and step 2. (Publish data to Online Service) you can proceed with step 3 which is Power Automate Data.

Adding a location field such as a city or postal code or xy field is important for data visualization.

Transfer data to Esri

Faiez_1-1705839946960.png

Step 1. Connect to data from multiple sources

Step 2. Publish this report online in the Power BI (You can also export your data to different format via file>Export.

Step 3. Power Automate for Power BI

Faiez_2-1705840727484.png

Note: Power BI requires a work or school email address. 

ArcGIS for Power BI

Best,

Faiez

0 Kudos
VojtěchAndrš
New Contributor II

Hello Faiez,

thank you for your reply. I think do not understand the steps described. Could you please elaborate the steps? Just to clarify, I would like to use in ArcGIS data stored in PowerBi.

Thank you

Vojta

0 Kudos
Faiez
by

Hi!

Here is some useful info about ArcGIS for Power BI.

Get Started with ArcGIS for Power BI

ArcGIS for Power BI

Best,

Faiez

0 Kudos
VojtěchAndrš
New Contributor II

Hello and thank you for reply,

you are mentioning ArcGIS for Power Bi, which unfortunately does not help in my case. I would like to connect the data the other way around (getting the data from Power Bi to ArcGIS).

0 Kudos
NasreddineD
New Contributor II

Hi,

This question has been solved if I understood your need.

Here are 2 tutorials to follow that can help you:

if your layer is public, you need to find the API rest link and follow this tutorial: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-for-power-bi-questions/shape-in-geojson/td-p/1210801

if it is private : https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-questions/load-arcgis-online-data-into-power-bi-using-oa...

0 Kudos