Can PowerBI display on a map from a ArcGIS REST endpoint?

09-22-2022 10:23 AM
Jay_Gregory
Occasional Contributor III

In this case, I am trying to _not_ use ArcGIS for PowerBI, since I have users that are simply Viewers, and ArcGIS Maps for PowerBI strangely requires that users have the Creator role, even if all they want to do is view services.  

So I'm curious how / if it is possible to provide a user a REST endpoint for a point, polygon, or line feature service (e.g. https://mygis.domain.com/arcgis/rest/services/demopolygon/MapServer/0/query), and connect that to a PowerBI map (the bing map tool).  

I am completely new to PowerBI here so if there is any documentation or step-by-step this would be great.  

If this is not possible, then why does a user need a Creator role to be able to only view layers?!?!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jay_Gregory
Occasional Contributor III

Even if users do use Maps for Power BI (with Creator license), they need to a) display some data (drag lat / long fields from power bi to get any map to show) b) still no way to pull in an arbitrary REST endpoint.  It would need to be added as an item in Portal or Online for a PowerBI user to be able to see in it Maps for PowerBI. 

0 Kudos
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes it is basically pulling in the JSON result of your REST query.

In the PBI query Editor, put something like the following for the source and followed with some data transformation steps:

=Json.Document(Web.Contents("ArcGIS Rest Query here"))

The ESRIJSON part will be a little tricky to deal with, but it's doable. 

To avoid the license issue for the viewers, your content needs to be shared with everyone in AGOL or Enterprise.

0 Kudos
AW_Grove
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Jay_Gregory  - I am working on the same thing. We don't even care about the map component, just using the underlying data. This article is really good at stepping you through the process - https://resource.esriuk.com/blog/how-to-use-arcgis-with-power-bi/ 

Though I have come across several issues so far including date/time formatting, how to pass credentials for secured data, and having to publish services that allow for over 2000 records to be queried at once. If you have found a better way please let me know!

0 Kudos