How to Search and zoom into the map

05-24-2012 01:15 PM
BradleyBrasel
New Contributor III
Maybe I am missing something here, but is there a way to do a search from within a webpart Map?

Do I need to add layer to the map for like cities and then allow the user to query that data to be able to zoom to a pt feature? Or do I setup a geoprocessing workflow, to be able to search and zoom?

It just seems like it is missing a Search by address functionality.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
BradleyBrasel
New Contributor III
Can anyone provide any insight?  It seems that this is a major FAIL on ESRI's part.
0 Kudos
LukeStewart
New Contributor III
You can do searches on place names or addresses if this is what you are after. In the table of contents there should a binoculars icon, if you click on that you can search for Places, ArcGIS or the Web. If you do a places search you can then add a pin to the map and zoom to it.

If you have an ArcGIS Server feature layer you can also open the features table and do a filter on the data.

What I cannot find out to do is search on a SharePoint list that has been geocoded and added to the map. Does anybody know how to do this? Or is it not out of the box functionality? ie. You need to use the API and do some programming.
0 Kudos
BradleyBrasel
New Contributor III
@Luke That's what I was thinking but you have to be in "edit web part" mode in order to do that. 

I was thinking more along the lines of a search box that you can search on address or place names, kind of like the search function in the mobile free apps or even on ArcGIS.com (see attachment).

This lack of search IMO makes the entire SharePoint for ArcGIS "lacking".
0 Kudos
LukeStewart
New Contributor III
Yea there is no easily viable search box at the moment. But you do not have to be in edit mode to have the search available. You just need to add the add content tab to the ribbon (you will need to be in edit mode to do this) and then everyone who users the map will be able to do a location search from the contents window.
0 Kudos