Select to view content in your preferred language

Maps for Office Crashes Excel on Row Right Click

Jump to solution
08-27-2014 02:12 AM
deleted-user-AYsXjhkrwuAA
New Contributor III

Hi

I have installed ESRI maps for office 2.1.4.280 on Office 2010 (32-bit).  Sometimes when using Excel generally the application crashes when right clicking on a row in Excel, this is before signing in with the esri toolbar or adding a map to the spreadsheet.

The event log seems to indicate the crash is caused by the ESRI toolbar, perhaps trying it's update check when it's first initialised.  Has anyone else seen this ? Other than that the plugin seems to work OK.

Application: EXCEL.EXE

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.ArgumentNullException

Stack:

at System.IO.StringReader..ctor(System.String)

at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Parse(System.String, System.Xml.Linq.LoadOptions)

at ESRI.ArcGIS.Mapping.OfficeIntegration.WPF.SoftwareUpgrade+<>c__DisplayClass8.<GetUpgradeInformation>b__6(System.Object, DownloadStringCompletedEventArgs)

at ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.ArcGISWebClient.OnDownloadStringCompleted(System.String, System.Exception, Boolean, System.Object)

at ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.ArcGISWebClient.WebRequestCompleted(System.Object, RequestEventArgs)

at ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.WebRequest.OnComplete(RequestEventArgs)

at ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.WebRequest.downloadStringCompleted(System.Object, System.Net.DownloadStringCompletedEventArgs, System.Action)

at ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.WebRequest+<>c__DisplayClass1d.<BuildClient>b__1b(System.Object, System.Net.DownloadStringCompletedEventArgs)

at System.Net.WebClient.OnDownloadStringCompleted(System.Net.DownloadStringCompletedEventArgs)

at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadStringOperationCompleted(System.Object)

at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(System.Object)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()

at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Ok, so I heard back from the dev team. It sounds like it is a problem with the auto-update check, as you suspected. If you go into the Excel backstage area (File > Esri Maps) and uncheck 'Check for updates,' that should hopefully fix your problem for the time being. We've already made the code fix in the upcoming 3.0 beta version of the product, so future versions should be ok. Let me know if this takes care of it or if you continue to see crashing. Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Andrew - we are aware of the intermittent crashing issues but it's been very hard to consistently reproduce. Thanks for including the event log; I've passed it along to the dev team to see if it helps them track down the problem.

0 Kudos
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Ok, so I heard back from the dev team. It sounds like it is a problem with the auto-update check, as you suspected. If you go into the Excel backstage area (File > Esri Maps) and uncheck 'Check for updates,' that should hopefully fix your problem for the time being. We've already made the code fix in the upcoming 3.0 beta version of the product, so future versions should be ok. Let me know if this takes care of it or if you continue to see crashing. Thanks!

0 Kudos
deleted-user-AYsXjhkrwuAA
New Contributor III

Thanks Scott, that seems to have fixed it for now.  Our proxy does require authentication which can sometimes cause problems.

I'll keep an eye out for the 3.0 release - our user's who have tried the tool bar have really liked the simplicity of it.

0 Kudos