Problem adding custom location type

12-13-2012 11:13 AM
JesMendez
New Contributor
I can't seem to add a Custom Location Type. I get a generic error "An error has occurred" screen when I get to the last step. I am trying to add a polygon neighborhood map service. Is there anything different I should do to my map service to be able to use it for custom location? Do I have to publish a locator service?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
KiyoyukiUchida
New Contributor
I am hit by the same phenomenon, too.
0 Kudos
KatherineDalton
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Jez,

You do not need to publish a locator service, but you do need to be using a hosted feature service from ArcGIS Online. Is the service a public one where I could take a look?

Katy
Katy Dalton | Technical Consultant
THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™
0 Kudos
CJHendrix
New Contributor
I'm having the same problem.  The AGOL feature service I'm trying to add as a custom location type is here:

http://services1.arcgis.com/yLZkD6B268zEFxrW/arcgis/rest/services/Pcode_Gazetteer_Admin1_5/FeatureSe...

To be clear about what is happening, Excel finds the service I'm searching for, lets me choose the layer within the service that I want to add (first one), lets me choose the columns I want, lets me specify the name, "SYR_Admin_1", and description, but when I click on the "add" button in this final window I get the generic "An error has occurred". 

Thanks,
cj
0 Kudos
SamanthaLuckhardt
New Contributor
I have found that the user needs admin rights to the machine that is using this in order for a custom location type to be created/added.

I would love to know if there is a workaround for this.
0 Kudos
ShwetaMorkhandikar
New Contributor
Has anyone found the solution for this issue. I am getting the same error.
0 Kudos
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello all -

I have been doing some testing and can replicate the "An error has occurred" issue you are seeing when trying to add a custom location type. It does seem to occur when a user does not have administrator rights to the local PC. We are looking at changing the way this works in future versions, but no decisions have been made at the current time.

For the time being, the workaround is to have an administrator grant the user full read/write permissions to the c:\Program Files (x86)\EsriMaps folder and all files and subfolders within. In local testing this fixed the issue on my test machine and I was able to add custom location types. Please let me know if this workaround solves the problem for you.

Thanks,
Scott
0 Kudos
JohnCodd
New Contributor III
Hello,

Has this issue been resolved with the most recent versions?

Thank you,

John
John Codd
0 Kudos