SP Image library thumbnails

10-08-2011 09:33 AM
TomRichie1
New Contributor
I have a coordinate list, actually an image library, which I???ve added to a map web part.  The images plot and I can access the metadata from the library which is great but I???d like to see a thumbnail of the image.  When I go to configure the layer's fields there are two attributes that are hidden columns of the image library, thumbnail and preview. I was hoping that enabling those attributes would show a thumbnail. No such luck.
Is there a way to get a thumbnail of an image library in addition to the metadata?
This would be a great feature.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TomRichie1
New Contributor
For anyone interested this can be done.  In the SharePoint Library you make two new columns, one hyperlink type and one image type, I used ImageLink and ImageThumb.  Then create a new SharePoint view using Access and perform an update query on the fields.

The link field can be updated directly using the default Name column. 

UPDATE Images SET Images.ImageLink = [Images].[Name]
WHERE (((Images.ImageLink) Is Null));

The thumbnail is a bit more difficult because SharePoint thumbnails are renamed and stored in a differend location.

UPDATE Images SET Images.ImageThumb = "ImageThumb"+"#"+Replace(Replace(Mid([Images].[Name],InStr(1,[Images].[Name],"#")+1,InStr(InStr(1,[Images].[Name],"#")+1,[Images].[Name],"#")-InStr(1,[Images].[Name],"#")-1),"Images1","Images1/_t"),".jpg","_jpg.jpg")+"#"
WHERE (((Images.ImageThumb) Is Null));
0 Kudos
MatthewGoulet1
New Contributor III
Has anyone come up with a Sharpeoint-only solution to show thumbnail images (or hyperlinks) on the popup? This functionality would be extremely (if not critically) important.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
TomRichie1
New Contributor
I think this is the solution you're looking for.  If you need more explanation just let me know.
0 Kudos
GarrettMoeller
New Contributor III
Hi I am needing to add thumbnails to the info popup as well.
I see the provided suggestions.
I have created the two columns and an access view.
Not quite sure what to do after that - I chose single form when opening Access - Access is now open.
Where do I put the provided code/Update sharepoint with new query?

One issue that I see is that this appears to be a manual process outside of Sharepoint.
With several hundred images coming in each week, this could be a tedious process.
Matt, have you come up with a Sharepoint-only solution.

Thank you to you both!

<edit>  scratch that! the above code appears not to be necessary!
            I forgot to enable those layers in the 'pop-ups' dialog - that was all that was necessary!!
0 Kudos