Using a custom geocoding service in EMfO

04-10-2014 08:56 PM
CarmaGerber
New Contributor
Hello

I am looking into the options of mapping linear data based on a single field locator from Esri Maps for Office.

The situation is as follows:
Created a locator in ArcGIS Desktop with a custom locator style that I have configured
Shared this as a geocode service to AGS
Set this up in ArcGIS online as a geocoding service utility

I would like to know if this geocoding service that I now have available in ArcGIS Online is also available somehow to users who have signed into ArcGIS Online from Esri Maps for Office and have an excel spread sheet they want to geocode?

I understand that you can "Add a custom locator" from the Location Types window however this is not what I want to do. I want to use my geocoding service that leverages my highly customised locator style.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Carma
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MalcolmEchaluce
Occasional Contributor
Hello

I am looking into the options of mapping linear data based on a single field locator from Esri Maps for Office.

The situation is as follows:
Created a locator in ArcGIS Desktop with a custom locator style that I have configured
Shared this as a geocode service to AGS
Set this up in ArcGIS online as a geocoding service utility

I would like to know if this geocoding service that I now have available in ArcGIS Online is also available somehow to users who have signed into ArcGIS Online from Esri Maps for Office and have an excel spread sheet they want to geocode?

I understand that you can "Add a custom locator" from the Location Types window however this is not what I want to do. I want to use my geocoding service that leverages my highly customised locator style.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Carma

You'll need to make sure that you have the most current version of ESRI Maps for Office (2.1.3.280).  That way, any geocoder service you've set up in your ArcGIS Online organizational account, custom ones for instance, will automatically show up in your choices for Location Type by its exact name, rather than Add Custom Location Type.
0 Kudos
CarmaGerber
New Contributor
Great! Thanks for this.

So if this is the case, our next step is to create a custom locator style (in desktop) so that we can map linear assets against a general single field locator. Once we create this custom locator, we can publish this as a service, add into AGOL and then it will be available for users to map assets from Excel.

Thanks again for the heads up!

Carma
0 Kudos