Arc GIS Mobile 10 from desktop to laptop without Server??

10-25-2010 01:53 PM
jessebelcher
New Contributor
I was under the impression that i could publish mobile projects to be used with mobile from Arc Desktop. All the help files i have looked at reference server. I am looking at buying server next year. I am brand new to 10 and mobile but not ESRI so what am I missing.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi,

Yes it is possible to use ArcGIS Mobile 10 without ArcGIS Server via ArcGIS Desktop 10 licenses. Below are some resources I recommend you start with, particularly the 3 ArcGIS Mobile videos available on Esri's ArcGIS Mobile Resource Center, http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/video/arcgis-mobile 
1 - Using ArcGIS Mobile with ArcGIS Desktop
2 -  What is Mobile Project Center
3 - How to Create a Mobile Project

ArcGIS Mobile 10 Build 2475 updated download on CCP (latest recommended build)
https://customers.esri.com/index.cfm?event=login.show

ArcGIS 10.0 Desktop �?? Add GlobalIDs in ArcView patch (required for editing in ArcGIS Mobile 10 using ArcView license)
  http://resources.arcgis.com/content/patches-and-service-packs?fa=viewPatch&PID=43&MetaID=1654

ArcGIS Mobile Blog
  http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/mobilecentral/default.aspx

ArcGIS Mobile Resource Center
http://resources.arcgis.com/content/arcgis-mobile/10.0/about

I believe the above information will get you started with ArcGIS Mobile 10 in Desktop environment. Please let me know if you need further assistance or have specific question I can help with.

Thanks,
Denise

0 Kudos
jessebelcher
New Contributor
Ok i have gone through all the info you have provided. The only thing i got out of it was how to use arc toolbox to make map cache from my mxd. I cannot add my own base-map layer only the ones that ESRI provide? (thank you by the way)  How do i add or make my feature classes editable with mobile.

I could find the map cache and add that in mobile but it was everything i had in my mxd. Some of the symbols were lost (i can work on that later).  I am still reading as i type this.

This is what i have and what i want to do...

I have roads, boundaries and grids. That will not change much if ever.Some of them may be cad files  (base-map?) How do i get my data to be the base map? I have added the new basemap layer in Desktop and moved the layers down.. How do i save that out so mobile can see it.

I have a electrical network that i need to be added to or edited with mobile. Then if i can get that far i will look at gps and tracking.

I promise i am trying to do my homework... I just need a push in the right direction.

Thank you for any and all info.
Jesse B.
0 Kudos
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
I am going to quote myself from another post. This is how to properly create operational layers.

I understand you want to make basemap layers, meaning non-operational layers, I personally want to do the same, but I have yet to figure this out. I have been spending most of my time coding, so I haven't spent too much time on creating basemap layer (non-operational). If I were to figure it out, I will post here.

Here's a step by step guide, I'm sure its a small thing you missed, but projection should not matter.

1) Have shapefile and bring into Geodatabase (SDE)

2) Right Click > Add Global IDs, also Register as Versioned (if you want to edit feature in ArcMap)

3) Create an mxd with your Feature Class

4) Double click on the data frame, Data Frame tab > set your extents, I personally click on "Other" > Specify Exten > Ok > Ok > Save mxd

5) Open ArcCatalog > right click on ur mxd > Public to ArcGIS Server > Put checkmark for Mobile Access

6) Open Mobile Project Center > Add Layers (Operational) > Find your service > Add

Hopefully one of these steps is something you missed, if not, please tell us what you did, step by step so we can determine if there's something wrong with your procedure.

Thanks,

Akhil P.

For now, just make operational layers, ones that are editable like your electrical one, and set the other layers to be not editable (don't give them a Global ID).

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
jessebelcher
New Contributor
Ok so i got that done.. Adding the global id was the key to getting my data into mobile and it seems that i can edit the data now. Now to figure out this BaseMap....
0 Kudos
jessebelcher
New Contributor
Did not notice until today but when i convert my data to map cache it is losing some of the line symbology. Its not honoring the colors or widths that i have...
0 Kudos
KaylaFolkins
New Contributor III
Jesse -

Hope you might get notification of this posting: We are trying to create a very simple mobile project and currently do not use ArcGIS Server.  Have been scouring the help documents and not really finding what we need.  Did you have any success with your attempts to do so?  Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
klf
0 Kudos
jessebelcher
New Contributor
It has been so long since i messed with this.. But the good news is the PDF i just looked at will get you where you need to be...
0 Kudos
JamesHollerith
New Contributor
I read through this PDF, am I correct in understanding that the only way to publish a map online and have people contribute data from the field directly into an interactive online map is through Arc Server?
0 Kudos
KaylaFolkins
New Contributor III
Hello, am also getting the "Forbidden" error, however am attaching what may be the document in question.  Hope it helps!

klf
0 Kudos