ArcGIS Mobile use with ArcView 10, & without ArcGIS Server?

03-31-2011 06:38 AM
HopeRowan
New Contributor II
I'm looking into options for capturing data in the field with a tablet.  I've been messing around with ArcGIS Mobile.  In order to get projects & data into ArcGIS Mobile, is it correct that I would need either ArcGIS Server, or ArcEditor/ArcInfo to give me access to the Mobile Map geoprocessing tools and transfer the data through ArcGIS Online?  (I only have ArcView, which does not appear to allow me to use the mobile map tools).

If this is correct, is the same true for ArcPad, or does that work differently as far as transferring data goes?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ToddStuber
Esri Contributor
Hi Hope,

Both ArcGIS Mobile and ArcPad can be used for disconnected editing at all three license levels and without ArcGIS Server.  Check to see which build of ArcGIS Mobile you have as there were two major bugs associated with build 2145 that prevented ArcView users from taking full advantage of ArcGIS Mobile.  One of the bugs (NIM059571) does not allow users with an ArcView license to add Global Id's to their data; a necessity for editing in ArcGIS Mobile.  The second bug (NIM059570) does not allow ArcView users to use the tools in the ArcGIS Mobile toolbox, which sounds like what you are running into. 

The good news is that both of these issues have been addressed with the release of build 2475 which can be downloaded via the Customer Care Portal and clicking on the Software Download link.

I hope this helps!
0 Kudos
AlexProtyagov
New Contributor
What would be the best place to look up changes/fixes/enhancements for new build ?
0 Kudos
ToddStuber
Esri Contributor
Hi Alex,

I would start with the ArcGIS Mobile Blog.  The post that has the details for build 2475 can be found here

Thanks!
0 Kudos
HopeRowan
New Contributor II
excellent thanks!  I've yet to go through the process to be sure everything's working, but I installed the latest build, and sure enough I now have access to the Mobile Tools in ArcView, so I should (hopefully) be good to go.
0 Kudos