Can't save mobile project to IIS web server

09-08-2010 12:07 PM
InformationResources
New Contributor
I've talked to ESRI Tech Support and it's being researched. So far - no answer. I have ArcGIS Server 10 installed on WinServ 2008 SP1. IIS running. ArcGIS Web server and Mobile installed. 

I have a Windows domain account that's part of the agsadmin group and I can log into ArcGIS Server Manager with this account to create services and web apps. But, when I'm in ArcGIS Mobile Project Center and I want to save a Mobile project to the web server - I can't log in. I guess the web server won't recognize the account. I created a local account and put into agsadmin and can't log in with that account either. I stopped/started IIS. I added my domain account to perms for the web server.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
18 Replies
BillRose
New Contributor III
Yes, I am able to upload a .wmpk file through either a browser connection to the Mobile Content Directory or through Mobile Project Center. It appears that you cannot upload other arbitrary file types though.

You might check the UAC behaviors on C:\inetpub. I've run into some situations where UAC prevented administrative changes on C:\Windows even after they were explicitly authorized. This is just a guess in your case. But we host our Web apps from a non-system drive.

I very much agree with your reluctance to tinker around. Not only is it a huge waste of time, the outcomes are very unpredictable and it is nearly impossible to keep track of these changes.

The Post Installers should be handling all of these configuration changes.

Thanks for your reply. 

Have you tried uploading a Windows mobile project package via the 'Mobile Content Directory'? If you have, you have me beat. I get the following error: 
Access to the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ArcGIS\Mobile\ContentRoot\WindowsMobile\Traffic\8d0eb6cc51804deba573d2f1b7412a65' is denied.
All of my security settings (Admin rights, UNC paths and Authentication) should be correct, yet I get this error? I haven't been able to fix this, and I have a real problem with continually tinkering around looking for a fix, while everything else works fine, including all our web services using Flex.
0 Kudos
JeffAzevedo
New Contributor
Again, thanks for the reply.

I didn't find any issues regarding UAC, but I thank you for pointing out a possible culprit.

We have our AGS setup on our D drive with our IIS/inetpub on C, and I'm starting to think this is ASP related. Maybe something doesn't get resolved when it's installed to a drive other than the default location.

My error is now down to:
Could not find a part of the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ArcGIS\Mobile\ItemsRoot\f9d12f68c67e4887932f17b3ff91129a'.
Is this progress? Not sure, but it's different. I accomplished this by adding a <namedserver>Network Service to the mobile directory, and now I'm trying to resolve the ASP situation. I'll post to this thread if I get it working.

I'm not a IT person, this is just my best guess from sifting through the web.
0 Kudos
JeffAzevedo
New Contributor
Update:
I finally heard from ESRI regarding the Web Server connection issues. It was in the form of a email linking to a forum thread.... THIS FORUM THREAD 🙂
So I guess they know there's a problem and don't know how to fix it, or they made an assumption that Bill's fix would work for everyone. Well, I'm very happy Bill has his working and I wish it did for our box too, but it just doesn't. If anyone has an idea, please feel free to post. I will try anything to get this working.
0 Kudos
JeffAzevedo
New Contributor
*Mobile working now*

The Awesome Chris O. of ESRI support has helped resolve the last issues I had. These are the changes we made to get MPC and our Juno's working with the web server.

IIS Authentication settings:
Mobile (root) - Anonymous Auth enabled
Admin - Basic Auth enabled (only)
Content - Anonymous Auth enabled
ContentRoot - Anonymous Auth enabled
ItemsRoot - Anonymous Auth enabled

Make sure that the Mobile root (via inetpub) has the "IUSR" added to the security tab, and that it has full control.

Finally, don't forget that your webservice must be "Not Pooled" if you are doing any kind of edits. Otherwise you will get Protocol errors while managing your edits.

-good luck
0 Kudos
BillRose
New Contributor III
Thanks for this post Jeff. I haven't seen the "not pooled" requirement for Mobile edits before your post. We are experiencing protocol errors on posting edits (but not getting data). This still happens after adding IUSR to the Mobile root directory and disabling pooling. This is good to know because it is the default setting. Do you know of any documentation on this? Also, can you tell me if your SOC account has any special perms on \Mobile?

*Mobile working now*

The Awesome Chris O. of ESRI support has helped resolve the last issues I had. These are the changes we made to get MPC and our Juno's working with the web server.

IIS Authentication settings:
Mobile (root) - Anonymous Auth enabled
Admin - Basic Auth enabled (only)
Content - Anonymous Auth enabled
ContentRoot - Anonymous Auth enabled
ItemsRoot - Anonymous Auth enabled

Make sure that the Mobile root (via inetpub) has the "IUSR" added to the security tab, and that it has full control.

Finally, don't forget that your webservice must be "Not Pooled" if you are doing any kind of edits. Otherwise you will get Protocol errors while managing your edits.

-good luck
0 Kudos
JeffAzevedo
New Contributor
I don't know of any documentation on this issue. There's one more thing we did which I forgot to mention, and that was under the 'WindowsMobile' folder (under ContentRoot). I had issues with pathing, and even though these fixes would eventually work, we needed to remove all records of past projects in the sub folder off of 'WindowMobile', in my case, a folder I had named 'Traffic'. After that everything worked.

Chris O. at ESRI also mentioned that adding 'db_owner' to the soc account in SQL has helped a person in the past. This wasn't needed in my situation, but you might want to check that for your setup.

Are you able to bring in a service to MPC from your web server and then save it to the web server? If you can and these changes haven't worked yet, you might want to clear that folder out and try again. Strangely enough this was one of the magic bullets.

I've also noticed that if you change the pooling to a service before you work in MPC, it sometimes will not show up when added? I went back, changed the service to 'Pooling', went back to MPC and viola. oddly this hasn't happened every time. So after you make your map in MPC, you can just go back to the AGS manager and change the pooling of the service to 'Not Pooled'.
0 Kudos
KathrynEngle
New Contributor
I am having same issue but have been unable to resolve from the posts so far.  I can not save a project or update changes on a project to my web server from the Mobile Project Center.  I have to save on my computer and then upload via the browser .\ArcGIS\Mobile\Content.  I have done the following:
1.  made sure user is in agsadmin group
2.  Set Authorizations to
Anonymous Authentication - Enabled
ASP.NET Impersonation - Enabled
Basic Authentication - Enabled
Forms Authentication - Disabled
Windows Authentication - Disabled
3.  Given permissions in Mobile directory under inetpub for IUSR.

It still won't save or update.  I can open a project once it is in the web server location, so can log into the server, just can't save to it.  What am I missing?
0 Kudos
NickHetrick
Occasional Contributor II
I am having this isuse as well. Oddly enough my settings already match all of the sugeestions in this post and actually I can post projects using my Trimble Yuma which runs a windows 7 OS. However I am getting the not being able to save behavior on my xplore tablets that are running win XP. Could this be an os issue. My web server is Win Server2008 R2. I am curious if any other are having issues using xp machines only. I am tempeted to reimage my xplore tabs with win 7 and see if that fixes the issue.
0 Kudos
JoshWerts
New Contributor III
I am having this isuse as well. Oddly enough my settings already match all of the sugeestions in this post and actually I can post projects using my Trimble Yuma which runs a windows 7 OS. However I am getting the not being able to save behavior on my xplore tablets that are running win XP. Could this be an os issue. My web server is Win Server2008 R2. I am curious if any other are having issues using xp machines only. I am tempeted to reimage my xplore tabs with win 7 and see if that fixes the issue.

This probably won't solve your problem but I didn't see this anywhere in this thread.

I just went through a lot of the same issues with saving projects as stated earlier in this thread (with a new setup on Windows Server 2008 R2) and in addition to some of the suggestions stated and help from ESRI (Thanks Jitesh N.!), I also had to grant permissions on the inetpub/wwwroot/ArcGIS/Mobile folder to the machine's "Users" role.  This solved a similar issue to:

"Access to the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ArcGIS\Mobile\ContentRoot\WindowsMobile\Traffic\8d0eb6cc51804deba573d2f1b7412a65' is denied."

as posted above.  I suspect this worked because the Users role contains the built in Authenticated Users role, but I haven't really looked into the "why" of it.
0 Kudos