Feature templates in ArcMobile

02-13-2012 09:32 AM
JamesRead
New Contributor
Anyone out there know if default values set in feature templates are honoured by arcmobile? I can see the default values from the templates in the rest (feature) service, but they don't seem to be picked up when using the standard collect features process in mobile.

We have a requirement to set values at creation time in arcmobile rather than at the database level as we need to record different default values depending on the scope of the application.

ArcGIS Server 10 SP3
Using OOTB ArcMobile 10 and Mobile Project center.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimDonoyou
Occasional Contributor
Hi James

Did you manage to solve this? We are up against the same issue.

Cheers

Tim
0 Kudos
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
Greetings,

I am using ArcGIS Mobile 10.0 and the OOTB solution with Default Values for many fields in my feature classes.
My application is working as expected.
For example I have a field called Length I have set the default value to be 5.
In ArcGIS Mobile OOTB, I would create the feature and go to the Attribute Form and I would see a 5 for the field Length automatically there.

Can you provide more details as to the problem you are having?
0 Kudos
TimDonoyou
Occasional Contributor
Hi Akhil,

Thanks for the reply.

The issue we (and I presume James) are having is specifying default values at the feature template level not the geodatabase level.

We have successfully created SQL Server feature classes with default values which is great but what we really want to do is to apply default values at the project/mxd/mobile service/feature template level.

For example, we have a standard form for bird surveys and some of the attributes are default for all surveys which we have specified at the geodatabase level in ArcCatalog but others vary on a project basis such as project code, surveyors, visit number, etc which in theory we could set the defaults for in ArcMap feature templates but at the moment they are not maintained when creating a mobile service or mobile cache.

Does this make sense? Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated (a homepage might well solve the problem!)

Cheers

Tim
0 Kudos
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
Hi Tim,
I am still a little confused as to how you want to accomplish your tasks, but I can give you my workflow with a rough example and hopefully it can shed some light on this.

Layer name: Person
Fields: Methodology, Height_1, Height_2.
Default Values from the Geodatabase: "", 99, 99

When the user clicks on Collect Height on the interface, a IPage will appear with 2 buttons, Laser or Measuring Tape.
If the user clicks on Laser, the Methodology field will automatically have the word "Laser" inserted and then the Height_1 field will be made available in the attribute form. But Height_2 will be hidden and set to " ".

If the user clicks on Measuring Tape, then the Methodology field will automatically have the words "Measuring Tape" and then the Height_2 field will be made available in the attribute form. But Height_1 will be hidden and set to " ".

I am modifying the Feature's DataRow values and hiding fields from the Attribute form accordingly.

PS: I'm still using ArcGIS Mobile 10.0 and this was a just a simple example of what I do for my Sampling module.

I hope this helps.
0 Kudos