General GPS / Mobile SDK question - 2D RMS Calculation

10-10-2011 06:42 AM
StevenSchuldt
New Contributor
We have a contract which has the following requirements for all GPS points collected.  We're using SX-BLUE II receivers with the mobile SDK.

A table listing the attribute data for all vertices of each polygon, line, or data point surveyed and mapped must be provided.  The table must include the following information for each point surveyed:

1.  Unique Name / Number
2.  NAD 1983 UTM Coordinate
3.  Number of Satellites (Minimum 4)
4.  PDOP (position dilution of precision) value of 6 or less
5.  2D RMS (root mean square) calculation.  The GPS unit must produce a 2D RMS sub-meter accuracy (within 1 meter of the indicated position 95% of the time)
6.  Distances between each consecutively numbered survey point

I understand and know how to provide everything there except for the 2D RMS line - I've read about how it's essentially a calculation of accuracy (e.g  EPE (2drms) = 2 * HDOP * SQRT [URE^2 + UEE^2])  - however I'm not sure from these requirements if they're stating they want to know the value for each point collected, or just that the receiver is capable of doing so.

If it IS that they want the value for each point being calculated, is there some standard way of getting this through the mobile SDK?  The formula I listed above included two factors (URE and UEE) that I wouldn't know how to go about calculating.

If anyone is a bit more familiar with this stuff and has any input it would be appreciated.

Much thanks
0 Kudos
0 Replies