Hooking into GPS Controller

04-02-2010 05:40 AM
KenCarrier
Occasional Contributor III
Jeff LeProwse built an applet for ArcPad commonly known as the AddXYZ applet in the ArcPad/Trimble/GPS communities. I had a colleague ask me if it was possible to hook into the GPS controller of a handheld running ArcGIS Mobile and populate certain fields like X, Y, Z, PDOP, HDOP, etc...

This was a very handy applet that allowed the admin to collect valuable information regarding the quality of a GPS point. Is there any way to do this out of the box with ArcGIS Mobile. I would think ESRI might have built something in to recognize certain fields names and populate them with information. In other words, a reserved field name for GPS collection.

If not then would ESRI consider building this into the ArcGIS Mobile Application and providing the user with a field map of what the fields should be named, and what type the field should be in the geodatabase? I think a review of what Jeff LeProwse built would be an excellent addition to ArcGIS Mobile. I have had a few colleagues ask if this is possible so I know there is interest for it. I can provide names and contact information if you would like. I have 4 that I know of right now who are very interested in this functionality and I am sure they are not alone.

So for the poll, my question is this;

Would anyone else like to see certain field autopopulate with GPS information like X, Y, Z, Lat, Long, PDOP, HDOP, etc...?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
NickDeMerchant
New Contributor
Hey Ken,

Do you know if this is possible in Mobile today?

Thanks,

Nick

Jeff LeProwse built an applet for ArcPad commonly known as the AddXYZ applet in the ArcPad/Trimble/GPS communities. I had a colleague ask me if it was possible to hook into the GPS controller of a handheld running ArcGIS Mobile and populate certain fields like X, Y, Z, PDOP, HDOP, etc...

This was a very handy applet that allowed the admin to collect valuable information regarding the quality of a GPS point. Is there any way to do this out of the box with ArcGIS Mobile. I would think ESRI might have built something in to recognize certain fields names and populate them with information. In other words, a reserved field name for GPS collection.

If not then would ESRI consider building this into the ArcGIS Mobile Application and providing the user with a field map of what the fields should be named, and what type the field should be in the geodatabase? I think a review of what Jeff LeProwse built would be an excellent addition to ArcGIS Mobile. I have had a few colleagues ask if this is possible so I know there is interest for it. I can provide names and contact information if you would like. I have 4 that I know of right now who are very interested in this functionality and I am sure they are not alone.

So for the poll, my question is this;

Would anyone else like to see certain field autopopulate with GPS information like X, Y, Z, Lat, Long, PDOP, HDOP, etc...?
0 Kudos
KenCarrier
Occasional Contributor III
Yes this is possible now, it is built in by Default no add-ons needed anymore.

The application recognizes default field names for things like LATITUDE LONGITUDE, etc...

If you are using a Trimble device then you can also use Trimble Positions which makes it possible to tap into a VRS system for correction while in the field versus post processing.

ArcGIS Windows for Mobile is still somewhat limited when it comes to symbology but it seems more stable as an application.
0 Kudos