How to create a Base Map? without ArcServer

01-18-2011 07:30 AM
KennethCheng
New Contributor II
Hi All,

I'm creating an out-of-the box mobile application and I can't figure out how to create a cached basemap.

I am using ArcInfo and ArcMobile.  I don't have ArcServer yet.

I can create operational layers but how do you create a cached basemap without ArcServer?

I've read thru the forum and help pages to find additional informaiton with little success. 

Anyone willing to share information on how to do this?

I've create a mxd file to use as a basemap but then what? When I create "mobile map" using arctools, mobile project center recognized the mobile map as an "operational layer" and not a basemap.

Thx in advance.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RyanBrooks
New Contributor
I am experiencing the same issue. Have talked to ESRI Tech Support and they don�??t seem to have a solution for me.  In version 9.3.1 there was a tool called �??Create Mobile Basemap�?? which had the functionality you are looking for, but this geoprocessing tool no longer exists.

For version 10 there only seems to be 4 options for creating a basemap for your mobile project, none of which allow you to use your own mxd document with only ArcInfo liscencing.

One clumsy workaround we have identified is to create your basemap mxd layer as an operational layer and add it to Mobile Project Centre, but then remove the option to edit or search this layer.  This method isn�??t ideal, but seems to be the best solution we can come up with until ArcServer is purchased.
0 Kudos
KennethCheng
New Contributor II
Hey Ryan,

I also was making the operational layers as "Unedittable".

I wonder if ESRI will comment on this thread?

Ryan: have you tried creating a mobile map using your own aerial photos?  I'd love to use our inhouse aerials as a layer...but I'm guessing it is a lot of data to move to a mobile device.  BTW: I'm using a windows tablet.
0 Kudos
RobertMEIER
Occasional Contributor
In ArcToolbox, just use the Create Mobile Map tool in the Mobile Tools toolbox. Just put in the name of your mxd and then where you want the map cache to be created.

Then copy the map cache to your device.
0 Kudos
KennethCheng
New Contributor II
In ArcToolbox, just use the Create Mobile Map tool in the Mobile Tools toolbox. Just put in the name of your mxd and then where you want the map cache to be created.

Then copy the map cache to your device.

Hey Robert,

I can "Create Mobile Map" via the Mobile Toolbox ...but when I open the mobile cache in "Mobile Project Center" the map cache is Added as an Operational Layer and NOT as a Basemap.
0 Kudos
RobertMEIER
Occasional Contributor
Hey Robert,

I can "Create Mobile Map" via the Mobile Toolbox ...but when I open the mobile cache in "Mobile Project Center" the map cache is Added as an Operational Layer and NOT as a Basemap.

Okay, Sorry, I don't use the Mobile Project Center to create my Mobile apps.
0 Kudos