Map Service missing data

10-26-2010 10:56 AM
JohnCenteno
New Contributor II
Ok, I ve figured out that in order to publish a map service with mobile access I needed to define a custom extent. got it, published fine.
However when I try bringing that service into Mobile Project Center my service has no data. I am using NAD_1983_StatePlane_Georgia_East_FIPS_1001_Feet does this have anything to do with the problem?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
Here's a step by step guide, I'm sure its a small thing you missed, but projection should not matter.

1) Have shapefile and bring into Geodatabase (SDE)

2) Right Click > Add Global IDs, also Register as Versioned (if you want to edit feature in ArcMap)

3) Create an mxd with your Feature Class

4) Double click on the data frame, Data Frame tab > set your extents, I personally click on "Other" > Specify Exten > Ok > Ok > Save mxd

5) Open ArcCatalog > right click on ur mxd > Public to ArcGIS Server > Put checkmark for Mobile Access

6) Open Mobile Project Center > Add Layers (Operational) > Find your service > Add

Hopefully one of these steps is something you missed, if not, please tell us what you did, step by step so we can determine if there's something wrong with your procedure.

Thanks,

Akhil P.
0 Kudos
JohnCenteno
New Contributor II
Ok its working fine now the only thing I did different is where you said changing extents choosing Other and Specify Extent... then OK, and OK and save MXD. Previously I had selected custom extent instead of Current Visible Extent. I don't know if I moved my extent way out or what. It is working fine now Thank you
0 Kudos
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
Glad to hear everything worked out.

Just a few pointers.

1) Once you save your mxd and publish it to the server, you generally don't want to touch the mxd.

2) In the case that you do open it and browse around and do stuff to it, try not to save it.

3) Some of the things I like to do when I open my mxd,
a) change projection to see how things would look
b) change map units
c) Since I have registered my FeatureClass as versioned, I am able to delete points that I collected
d) Perform some analysis

4) I do all these things, close the mxd but Don't Save. The modifications to the FeatureClass will be saved because that is the whole purpose of registering it as versioned, so I can delete, move, edit the points I collected.

For more details regarding the Checksum (the things that could cause problems changing certain elements of the mxd and more, refer to the link below:

"Checksum Revisted"
http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/mobilecentral/

If you have any further questions, please me know.

Thanks,

Akhil P.
0 Kudos