Mobile 3.1 cannot navigate to projected coordinate point

12-10-2012 06:54 AM
JosephThirolf
New Contributor
I find this hard to believe, but my Windows Mobile Mobile 3.1 application will not navigate to a projected coordinate point like my Mobile 10 application will. It appears the datum transformation is not being applied in the Mobile 3.1 application. The data source to generate the mobile cache files is a File Geodatabase...I don't know if that makes a difference.

My Mobile 10 version is as follows...
ArcGIS Desktop 10, version 10.0.4400
ArcGIS Mobile 10, version 10.0.2550

My Mobile 10.1 version is as follows...
ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop, version 10.1.3143
ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 3.1, version 3.1.3188

I also noticed that the Mobile 10.1 Create Mobile Cache geoprocessing tool will not add a specified data frame's geographic coordinate system transformation to the MapSchema.bin file. It simply says Not Defined where the transformation would be listed as compared to a 10.0 version MapSchema.bin file.

I also tried using a 10.0 generated set of mobile map cache files on my Windows Mobile device while running my Mobile 3.1application to no effect. It appears to not adjust the depicted position correctly based upon the geographic coordinate system transformation depicted in the 10.0 MapSchema.bin file.

We also tried reprojecting our base projected coordinate system layer to a WGS84 geographic layer using the ESRI project tools, then added this layer to the map. This still would not put the transformation into the MapSchema.bin file when we used the Create Mobile Cache geoprocessing tool.

It appears to me that there are two problems here...possibly because I am using a file geodatabase...

1.) The Mobile 3.1 Create Mobile Cache geoprocessing tool does not generate a MapSchema.bin file when one is specified in the map's data frame.

2.) The Windows Mobile 3.1 application does not depict the proper position even if it has a MapSchema.bin file with a defined geographic coordinate system transformation.

FYI...my map's projected coordinate system is a NAD_1927_UTM_Zone_15N and the geographic coordinate system transformation I am using is a NAD_1927_To_WGS_1984_4.

Has anyone seen anything like this?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimDonoyou
Occasional Contributor
Hi Joseph,

We have a similar problem transforming from WGS84 to British National Grid.

The only valid workflow I have come up with is to set the dataframe to WGS84 and apply the transformation from British National Grid to WGS84 or to have WGS84 feature classes / layers which are then reprojected into British National Grid in ArcGIS.

I have been in constant contact with ESRI UK tech support and posted here multiple times but have not got a valid solution...ditto regarding saving edits to SD cards...

...Denise - any suggestions? or a service pack date?

Thanks

Tim
0 Kudos
AlistairMcMillan
New Contributor
Hi Guys, I'm not sure if I'm on the same page as you but the field crew have been having some problems with vs 3.1 on the mobile devices, Tablets. The main problem I had when I rebuilt a project and opened it on the device it never aligned itself with the aerial imagery basemap, I tried everything.

I'm more a backend data setup guy so I asked one of the gis ppl to check out the mxd settings for the map everything checked out. Eventually I uninstalled the mobile 3.1 install on my Desktop and the mobile device and installed 3.0 on both, rebuilt the project etc. and all good. The organisation is running Arcgis 10.0.

Bruce.
0 Kudos
JosephThirolf
New Contributor
I tried uninstalling Mobile 3.1 and installed Mobile 3.0 and it does the same thing. I am on vacation now but I will probably file an incident report with ESRI when I get back into the office in January.

Right now, we are sticking with our 10.0 solution because of this. The only thing that was fixed in the Mobile 3.1 solution that would help us is that the auto pan option appears to be fixed in the Mobile 3.1 solution.
0 Kudos