Mobile Project - Not Displaying in Mobile Devices

02-01-2011 01:41 PM
AaronPaul
New Contributor II
I have a Cached - Not Mobile Cached - project published to AGS via an MSD. I can add the service via Mobile Project Center and save to AGS. The problem is that I can't view the project in mobile devices, only within desktop ArcGIS Mobile. Does anyone know what piece(s) I'm missing? Do I need to use a Mobile Cache rather than Caching a WMS with Mobile Capabilities? I appreciate your assistance, AP
0 Kudos
8 Replies
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
I personally use an MXD, then make it into a Service and then use Mobile Project Center. Since you seem to be using the toolbox to create the Mobile Cache you may want to use the MXD. Or try deploying the application using Mobile Project Center.
0 Kudos
JeffAzevedo
New Contributor
Check your cache /dir on the mobile device, and make sure it's not empty.
0 Kudos
AaronPaul
New Contributor II
Thank you both for replying. I've tried publishing from MSD and MXD, neither works once Cached. In Mobile Project Center (MPC) everything looks good. When I open in ArcGIS Mobile Cached Map Services do not display. I've not checked the cache directory on the mobile device as of yet as suggested. How or where do I check the cache directory on Mobile Device? Also, if it is not empty does anyone else have suggestions on working with Cached Map Services? There must be a reason for a Mobile Cache vs. a Standard Cache. Should I be using Mobile Cache, is this the problem?
0 Kudos
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
If you are deploying to Windows Mobile devices. Click on File Explorer > Directory of Where you installed it > ArcGIS Mobile > Click on the project > If you have many services click on the folder and you will files which pertain to the cache.

If you are deploying to Windows PC/Tablets. My Computer > C:\ > User > AppData > Local > ESRI > ArcGIS Mobile > Project Folder > Service Folder > inside there will be files pertaining to the cache.

The only other thing I can tell you is did you follow all steps to make a service correctly? What steps did you take to create your MXD and made it a service? In full detail.
0 Kudos
AaronPaul
New Contributor II
Great Info: Here's my work flow.
1. Add Aerial or Feature Class
2. Set Data Frame Properties
   a. Custom Extent - Current View
   b. Define Projection to Data Frame to (Mash w/ BING) - WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere).
3. Save MXD
4. Publish MXD or MSD to AGS
5. Cache Service
   a. Have tried many formats
   b. Aerial preferred JPEG or PNG32
   c. 72,222 down to 1000 scales
6. Anti - Aliasing
   a. Force and Best
7. Add Service as Base Map in MPC
8. Save AS Mobile Project directly to AGS
9. Open in ArcGIS Mobile

If I Add a Published Dynamic Operational Layer on top of Cached Aerial the Dynamic Service only appears.
I've tested this with just the cached Aerial as well, it does not show.

Please help and thank you
0 Kudos
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
Ah ok, you are working with Raster, much different than vectors. I have worked with Raster back with 9.3. and I was successful, but I have yet to try with 10, so I can't comment on that.

I do remember that I tried a million techniques to prepare the raster, using it as raster data, feature class, different methods of changing the raster to different extensions, jpeg, tiff, png, etc.

I will be likely to look at this 1 month from now. Maybe someone here can assist on this.
0 Kudos
AaronPaul
New Contributor II
I've narrowed the problem down to Raster Services. Vector Cached Services work fine, sort of. Can anyone shed some light on how to use Mobile Cache? Is this the solution? Also, when I add Vector Cached Service in as a Cached Map Service, within MPC, labeling properties are lost. So, I have to load it as a Base Map Web Service. This may be a seperate thread but applies to my desired knowledge on what is going on. Please help, driving me nuts.
0 Kudos
AlinaTaus
Occasional Contributor
Great Info: Here's my work flow.
1. Add Aerial or Feature Class
2. Set Data Frame Properties
   a. Custom Extent - Current View
   b. Define Projection to Data Frame to (Mash w/ BING) - WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere).
3. Save MXD
4. Publish MXD or MSD to AGS
5. Cache Service
   a. Have tried many formats
   b. Aerial preferred JPEG or PNG32
   c. 72,222 down to 1000 scales
6. Anti - Aliasing
   a. Force and Best
7. Add Service as Base Map in MPC
8. Save AS Mobile Project directly to AGS
9. Open in ArcGIS Mobile

If I Add a Published Dynamic Operational Layer on top of Cached Aerial the Dynamic Service only appears.
I've tested this with just the cached Aerial as well, it does not show.

Please help and thank you

I believe the only step you are missing here is copying the mobile cache over to the mobile device. You will have to do this for each basemap that you have in your mobile project. You don't have to do this for your operational layers because the cache(s) should automatically be downloaded on the mobile device when a project is opened for the first time.

When you created the cached ortho a folder was added to your GIS server on the local c drive:
C:\arcgisserver\arcgiscache.

You will have to copy that cached folder and put it on your mobile device in this folder:
c:\users\<name_of_user>\appdata\esri\arcgismobile\P_<name_of_project>

I believe that project folder P_<name_of_project> doesn't get created until you download the mobile project onto the mobile device (through ArcMobile)

Hope this helps!
0 Kudos