Mobile Tiles, Windows 8 projection issues.

07-18-2013 07:30 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: amarsden

Ok - here's what I have, A Windows 8 Tablet & Windows XP, both running ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 10.1.1.0 (the latest I believe)

I have a tiled base map, deployed via the share toll in the 10.1 desktop to a TBK file and expanded on the machines

In windows XP all is fine.

In Windows 8 it fails big time.  My data is in British national Grid (wkid 27700) and this pick up fine on the project details.

When it is in the Windows 8 tablet it looks initially like it get reprojected into WGS84 (I recogize my district when it is in WGS84)

However the tiles then don't join.  It is as if it reprojects each tile, but when it comes to the next one it places it in a position defined by the original projection. See examples attached.  As i said, these work fine in the same software on windows XP (and on earlier software on 7 - I've not dared upgrade that tablet as it is in the field)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26037[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26038[/ATTACH]

Even reprojecting the map as WGS84 at the time of tile creation fails.  I draw the line at re-projecting the raw data as there is a massive overhead to that.

I have a call with our local esri, but they've had to bounce it to Redlands, but so far we've had no luck, so throwing it open to the community!

Cheers

ACM
0 Kudos
10 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: tim_donoyou

Hi Adrian

We have had the same issues with ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 10.1 and British National Grid and have not been able to resolve it at all - it seems that ArcGIS Mobile 10.1 cannot transform on the fly from WGS84 to BNG.

I have had endless discussions with Zoltan at ESRI UK tech support but have not solved it and like you have been referred to ESRI Inc.

The only answer we have found is to project all layers into WGS84 - takes time but at least it works.

If you make any progress please let us know - would save a world of pain!

cheers

Tim
0 Kudos
AdrianMarsden
Occasional Contributor III
Tim - does it work for you using 10.1.1 when run on an XP PC?

Zoltan's been looking after my call too 🙂  Although not sure this is the same as I did save the PBK file as WGS84 and that failed too

Maybe I should download an earlier version.
0 Kudos
AdrianMarsden
Occasional Contributor III
SORTED - This was SO simple when discovered by Zoltan/Esri(inc), although logged as an official bug  -
NIM093153 - Tile Package Added as a Basemap to ArcGIS for Windows Mobile Project Center Not Rendering Correctly on Specific Windows 8 tablet devices.
NIM093153 - Tile Package Added as a Basemap to ArcGIS for Windows Mobile Project Center Not Rendering Correctly on Specific Windows 8 tablet devices.

Fix for these is to ensure the screen DPI is set to 100% in the Win 8 display setting - on our tablet it was set (even stating it was a default) to 125%

ACM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: tim_donoyou

Hi Adrian

Glad you got it sorted - quick question tho - have you managed to set up a mobile project in british national grid and collect GPS data in WGS84 with ArcGIS for windows mobile successfully applying an on-the-fly transformation so it is captured in the correct BNG position?

Cheers

Tim
0 Kudos
DustinEdge
Occasional Contributor
Thank you Thank you Thank you!!

I've been stuck on this issue for the last few weeks and was on the verge of giving up on AGM 10.1.1

It's not just Windows 8 tablets. I had the problem on a Windows 7 Samsung tablet

Regards
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Don't thank me - I've just passed the message on 🙂

As to GPS - haven't even tried.  On Windows 7 it was always offset and esri(uk) took a look and concluded that that was the best it could be, withou re-projecting all the source data.

On Windows 8 it totally fails to see the built in GPS as it doesn't use a pseudo Serial port.  I have heard from esri(uk) that the next version of ArcGIS for Windows Mobile will be better, but not in the Out of Box application, but as "an extension or customization that could then be applied to it in order to gain that functionality"

We don't really need it, as for the datacapture we do, our users know where they are, and with OS masterMap they can locate the features they need to capture.  Pin Point accuracy isn't needed (nt that we'd get it with built in GPS) - If we are collecting, say, street furniture locations, as long as we get it as "bin, bench, dog bin" in that order going along a path we are happy.

ACM
0 Kudos
DustinEdge
Occasional Contributor
Hi Adrian

your comment about Windows 8 and the next version of AGM (due very soon) really worries me.
You would think that ESRI would have learnt from the whole USB GPS saga and it would be really frustrating that they drop the ball again with the inbuilt GPS now.

I wonder if someone from from ESRI can confirm this? The reason I ask is because I'm about to suggest a very expensive ruggedised tablet to one of my teams and I don't want to look the fool when AGM cant see the GPS device in it.

Can someone from ESRI confirm this?

Cheers
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: dedge

UPDATE:

Just got this from Tech Support ESRI Australia:
Esri Inc are working on including the sensor API for GPS at 10.2 ArcGIS for Windows Mobile. The date of this is not fully finalized, the release date was slightly adjusted to accommodate for this inclusion.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dustin - that sounds like the same as I got - so still not supported in the out of box solution, but will be supported for applications developed with the SDK.
0 Kudos