No Forum for GPS Questions??? Simple GPS (Trimble) question...

10-07-2011 04:22 AM
KevinDoyle
New Contributor II
Precursor: I know this is a GIS forum
Hello all,

I am posting because I was wondering if anyone could help me with question regarding Trimble GPS. I need to know how to change the IP address of the base station the organization I work for currently uses for data correction. I was told I have to "change the download string if in GPS Pathfinder Office", which is cool and all but....I don't know how to do that off the top of my head.

I'm an intern here and am trying to leave a good impression. I know this is a GIS forum but I also know that many people who are familiar with GIS are equally GPS savvy. I'm sure I could ask someone here at the work-place but I feel like this is a task they expect me to know how to do so I figured I'd branch out to available resources before making myself look a total noob.

If noone knows the answer to my question but rather a good forum to post it, please, by all means...

Thanks Again!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
You really should work directly with Trimble or your Trimble distributor on this.  http://www.trimble.com/technical-support.aspx

I have Trimble and Pathfinder office but this is more technical than I go.  Whenever I have any problems, I just contact my distributor (Seiler Instrument out of St. Louis) and get my questions answered that way. 

Find your distributor here: http://www.trimble.com/locator/locator.aspx
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
KevinDoyle
New Contributor II
Thank you for responding!

I am open to this suggestion, however, will my boss be notified by the distributor if I (an intern) contact them?

If that is the case, then I might as well just ask the people at the office.

Any suggestions as to where to look in Pathfinder Office to adjust these settings? (changing a basestation IP address)

Again, thank you for your help.
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
Well then, I'll just say this.  You should never be afraid to ask a question.  Its better to ask and sound like an idiot than to do it incorrectly and mess everything up.  Your boss is not a very good boss if he tries to fire you for asking a legitimate question in order to make sure the job is done correctly.  Also, you are an intern, you should not automatically be expected to know EVERYTHING.  An intern should be seen as a worker-in-training that's why you don't get the big bucks yet.  That said, good luck, and remember integrity is an employer's greatest asset.

Also just look on the technical support website (mentioned above), it may be there somewhere.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
KevinDoyle
New Contributor II
Well then, I'll just say this.  You should never be afraid to ask a question.  Its better to ask and sound like an idiot than to do it incorrectly and mess everything up.  Your boss is not a very good boss if he tries to fire you for asking a legitimate question in order to make sure the job is done correctly.  Also, you are an intern, you should not automatically be expected to know EVERYTHING.  An intern should be seen as a worker-in-training that's why you don't get the big bucks yet.  That said, good luck, and remember integrity is an employer's greatest asset.

Also just look on the technical support website (mentioned above), it may be there somewhere.

Well...I came to a GIS forum looking for GPS advice and got lessons on integrity. Who would've thought? 😉

I agree that integrity is an employee's best asset (in employer's perspective) but I also know that impressing the boss is never a bad thing.

Thank you for your help.

I will contact Trimble and if all else fails, then I will resort to asking my boss.

I will post the answer to my question here as soon as I find out what it is!
0 Kudos
KevinDoyle
New Contributor II
I'm using GPS pathfinder office to process waypoints and I keep getting this:

"No processing performed as base data does not have carrier data"

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with me configuring the IP address of the server of the basestation I use but I don't know how to do that. 

Can you modify the IP address of a "system-defined" server?  Is it done through the Correction Wizrd?

Help!
0 Kudos
AllisonFerrini
New Contributor
You can significantly improve the accuracy of field data through a process called differential correction. This requires a set of �??base�?? files that are collected at a known location at the same time that the field data files are collected.
2. Go to CALVRS: http://calvrs.net/.
3. Figure out which CALVRS base station is closest to your data collection site, see: http://calvrs.net/images/AZGPS%202010%20Combined%20Coverage%20Map.jpg      
4. And, you can also get the CALVRS KMZ here: ftp://173.203.19.177/Maps/.
5. From CALVRS home page, right click on FTP Access (top right), open in new window.
6. Click on Data, Rinex, 2012, and then the date you want (clicking on previous day�??s date gives you current day�??s data).
7. Then click on the base station you want to correct from, for example POLB (Long Beach). Use TEVC for Naval Base Point Lom
8. Click on the time period(s) that you need to span (over-span) the time of your rover file(s). The hour that it shows is the end of the 1hr long file, so 1:00PM is from Noon-1. Be absolutely sure that the zip files you download totally cover the time period you collected data in. Get a few hours on each side just to be on the safe side.
9. Save the zip files to your base station folder in PFO project folder or elsewhere.
10. In PFO, utilities, differential correction, when choosing the base provider, just point to the folder containing the zip files. It can read the zip files directly. Use second choice �??folder search.�?�
11. Choose �??use reference position from base files�?� and �??confirm before processing.�?�
12. Do not proceed unless you have 100% coverage.
13. Click confirm, wait for the process to run, and then check to make sure the accuracies are in your allowable range. Then close the process and open the corrected file (.cor).
0 Kudos