New Contributor
is there anyway to get routing functionality with arcgis mobile 9.3.1,

any guideline or directions would be really appreciated

thank you
0 Kudos
7 Replies
SethPatrich
New Contributor III
We are running into this same issue with ArcGIS Mobile 10, has anyone found a solution?
0 Kudos
NoureddineEl-zaatari
New Contributor
i found a solution for this and im ready to share with you,, are you interested ??
0 Kudos
DavidMarley
Occasional Contributor II
There are ways to implement routing although it requires a custom mobile app and the use of some other ESRI technologies.  There is no way built-in to the Mobile ADF/API itself. 

I have never done either of these, but have researched them at a high level:

1.  Call an ArcGIS Server service to get route and directions, and display route over Mobile map. Would require a network connection to call the server.  Custom solution.

2. Use ArcGIS Engine and Network Analyst, and a local network dataset, to create a local routing component.  Then call the Engine component from Mobile.  Would require a GDB with networked dataset (can't be part of the mobile cache).  Obviously a completely custom solution, and not trivial.  And of course would require ArcGIS Engine licensing in addition to mobile, so potentially expensive if you have large deployments.  And also would require a Windows device (laptop or other) and a fairly robust one at that, to run Engine.

Those are the 2 approaches I know of. #1 actually is not particularly hard if you are a developer or have access to developers, and a custom mobile app is acceptable in your situation. #2 is a significant effort and a very "heavy" solution for sure. No easy answer to this one....
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
We are running into this same issue with ArcGIS Mobile 10, has anyone found a solution?

[INDENT]                             Although I am not  clear on the device you are creating this mobile project, I want  to ask if you are familiar with the ArcGIS Mobile 10 Code Samples? One  sample that might be of interest is titled Navigation Extension for ArcGIS Mobile tablet application 10.0
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html...67d0ed5e482896
                         [/INDENT]
0 Kudos
NoureddineEl-zaatari
New Contributor
that is great, this is exactly what im looking for, but i have one important question ?? does it require an extra license for this ??

you support is really appreciated..
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Yes, you will need to purchase ArcLogistics Navigator 9.3.1 or later in order to obtain license and integrate the logistics-tuned GPS guidance to your field workforce using ArcGIS Mobile (or ArcPad). Also, Navigation Extension sample requires Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. Please contact your local Esri Representative for pricing information of ArcLogistics Navigator, http://www.esri.com/software/arclogistics-navigator/index.html.

Thanks,
Denise
0 Kudos
RajhpandianNatarajan
New Contributor
Hi Denise,

I am looking for Routing solution with ArcGIS Mobile 10 for windows tablet PC.
Is there any other solution you can provide without using ArcLogistics?

Thanks
Rajhpandian N
0 Kudos