Super Newby Questions.

09-21-2011 08:00 AM
AnastasiaAourik
New Contributor II
Just installed ArcGIS Mobile; Using it and not quite clear on some basic how to's...

When I make a project in a local project directory, it makes a wmpk file.  I add operational layers (Map Services with Mobile Capabilities Checked in ArcGIS Manager).
For each layer in the operational layer, I go to the general tab, and for some, I changed default visibility to 'uncheck'; I have the project; Open the map again, and still all items are checked.

Also, I have no idea how to Run as Task...
I created a task in arcgis mobile, how do I run it and see the results on the map.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
HenrikSvenningsen
Occasional Contributor
If you want to collect new object you have to have a editable layer with global id. Those you have to make in arcmap.

If you get your layers from an server i think that the "composer" of those also has to be editable and comes from arcmap to arcgis server before you Can use Them.
0 Kudos
AnastasiaAourik
New Contributor II
Thank you for your quick response to my newby question...

So (in just the last 30 minutes things became quite clear) regarding general
getting started with the ArcGIS Mobile tool i installed.

Here's my brain dump for all...

First, I learned that the ArcGIS Mobile Project Center ("C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Mobile10.0\bin\MobileProjectCenter.exe") is simply an application that helps you build and configure mobile projects.

You can start by making a new mobile project and saving it to your workstation.
The file type is .wmpk

Here is the step-by-step instructions for packaging up your map to make available in mobile app.

(1) ARCMAP: The MXD file (DATAFRAME) must have explicit EXTENT defined; you cannot keep the default "Set Extent based on all Layers"
(2) ARCMAP: Make sure that your COORDINATE SYSTEM - SPATIAL REFERENCE is the same as any basemaps that you will be using.
Most likely you will always use [see Coordinate System tab on Data Frames properties]
- Predefined
   - Projected Coordinate Systems
        - World
           - WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere)
(3) ARCMAP: Analyze and save the MSD file
(4) ARCGIS SERVER MANAGER: Publish the MSD file with following options in Capabilities CHECKED
        - Mobile Data Access
        - Feature Access (i guess, if you want to enable EDITING capabilities in your Mobile app)
(5) ARCGIS MOBILE PROJECT CENTER: Open that project you made and add the operational data you just published;  Enter the url specified and the tool will find all mobile data access services available
(6) Do all the other configurations you would like here
(7) Save Project
(8) Go to the Project Server URL
(9) Press Add Item, navigate to the folder where your save wmpk file resides; Now you have your project on the Mobile Project Server.  (if this is outside firewall, then ArcGIS MOBILE application simulator ("C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Mobile10.0\bin\ArcGISMobile.exe") will find it;  If not, you can use ArcGIS.COM to upload your mobile project .wmpk file and then use the ArcGIS Mobile simulator to connect to the project via ArcGIS.COM.

Henrik, I do appreciate your feedback, but I am not making a mobile app for editing (YET)
I will keep in mind these comments for future reference.
However, if anything in my step-by-step instructions sounds 'wrong' please feel free to share.

cheers,aa
0 Kudos
JohnAllen
New Contributor III
Good write-up.

If there is no base map being added, do you have to change the projection in step (2)?

Thanks,

John Allen
0 Kudos