Which mobile solution to use? (kinda vague I know...)

Jump to solution
04-30-2012 05:48 AM
MichaelBell3
New Contributor
The company I work for has just started properly looking at deploying more GIS solutions around the country, and we're looking at more mobile solutions. At the moment I'm stuck on which one to recommend.

There is ArcPad, the full-flavoured goodness. It does mean that the maps can be saved to the machine directly (I've got an old version on my personal PDA) so no need for internet access, as we operate in areas which would have very iffy connection (and I don't know how much internet access costs on these things). I am hesitant about the cost, and the sheer amount of stuff that may bewilder some of our employees.

The ArcGIS app is free and runs on everything under the sun, which is pretty good. However, it only runs content from ArcGIS.com I believe, which in some instances won't display all the data we need (due to the cap on the amount of points/shapes) unless we split it up. Also, worried about internet costs/connection.

There is also, on ESRI's main products site, "ArcGIS for Windows Mobile". Could someone tell me about that and whether it needs to be connected?

Basically, my main point of contention is whether it needs to be connected to the internet (either ArcGIS.com or an ArcSDE server). I'm going to look into some internet pricing for an Android as that may well be the route we go down for smaller contracts.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HenrikSvenningsen
Occasional Contributor
The company I work for has just started properly looking at deploying more GIS solutions around the country, and we're looking at more mobile solutions. At the moment I'm stuck on which one to recommend.

There is ArcPad, the full-flavoured goodness. It does mean that the maps can be saved to the machine directly (I've got an old version on my personal PDA) so no need for internet access, as we operate in areas which would have very iffy connection (and I don't know how much internet access costs on these things). I am hesitant about the cost, and the sheer amount of stuff that may bewilder some of our employees.

The ArcGIS app is free and runs on everything under the sun, which is pretty good. However, it only runs content from ArcGIS.com I believe, which in some instances won't display all the data we need (due to the cap on the amount of points/shapes) unless we split it up. Also, worried about internet costs/connection.

There is also, on ESRI's main products site, "ArcGIS for Windows Mobile". Could someone tell me about that and whether it needs to be connected?

Basically, my main point of contention is whether it needs to be connected to the internet (either ArcGIS.com or an ArcSDE server). I'm going to look into some internet pricing for an Android as that may well be the route we go down for smaller contracts.

Roughly it works like:

ARCPAD:
Design it in ArcMap.
Easy to design, because it's almost of-of-the-box from ArcMAP (if you are familiar with ArcMAP).
Upload it to your device.
Use it connected/disconnected.
Syncronize it with Arc SDE.
Use it via WIFI, 3G.
Users has to be GIS educated.
Can be used on PDA, Tablets, PC.
Can be used through a GIS server.

ArcMobile for Windows:
Design it in ArcMap.
A bit more "difficult" to design in ArcMAP to the "end-user".
Load it into ArcMobile Project Center and "detail design" it.
Use it connected/Disconnected.
Syncronize via ArcMAP (and if versioned data from ArcMAP to the SDE).
Use it via WIFI or 3G.
Users can be "Mr. and Mrs. Neighbour" witout ANY GIS skills, because everything is "menu's and scroll down and pick what you see on the ground" if the "designer" has done his job perfectly.
Can be used on tablets and PC's.
Can be used throuh a GIS Server, but also "just" by a USB-stick.

ESRI "ArcGIS" App. from app-store:
Has to run from ArcGIS online or have your own server solution.
"Field collection" data is online-driven with your own server.
All design can be done in ArcGIS online or ArcMAP and uploaded to Server or ArcGIS Online.
For most people more like a "wiever and use map and features" than a "collector of features".
Can be used on Android, iOS and Windows smartphones.
Has to syncronize with some kind of server-solution via the Internet or 3G

You could read a LOT of this on ESRI's pages and there is also "how to do's" in this forum for each software....just spend some time with "googling".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
HenrikSvenningsen
Occasional Contributor

Roughly it works like:

ARCPAD:
Design it in ArcMap.
Easy to design, because it's almost of-of-the-box from ArcMAP (if you are familiar with ArcMAP).
Use it connected/disconnected.
Syncronize it with Arc SDE.
Use it via WIFI, 3G.
Users has to be GIS educated.
Can be used on PDA, Tablets, PC.
Can be used through a GIS server.

ArcMobile for Windows:
Design it in ArcMap.
A bit more "difficult" to design in ArcMAP to the "end-user".
Load it into ArcMobile Project Center and "detail design" it.
Use it connected/Disconnected.
Syncronize via ArcMAP (and if versioned data from ArcMAP to the SDE).
Use it via WIFI or 3G.
Users can be "Mr. and Mrs. Neighbour" witout ANY GIS skills, because everything is "menu's and scroll down and pick what you see on the ground" if the "designer" has done his job perfectly.
Can be used on tablets and PC's.
Can be used throuh a GIS Server, but also "just" by a USB-stick.

ESRI "ArcGIS" App. from app-store:
Has to run from ArcGIS online or have your own server solution.
"Field collection" data is online-driven with your own server.
All design can be done in ArcGIS online or ArcMAP and uploaded to Server or ArcGIS Online.
For most people more like a "wiever and use map and features" than a "collector of features".
Can be used on Android, iOS and Windows smartphones.
Has to syncronize with some kind of server-solution via the Internet or 3G

You could read a LOT of this on ESRI's pages and there is also "how to do's" in this forum for each software....just spend some time with "googling".
0 Kudos