Windows Mobile Editable layers

03-02-2012 08:44 AM
LeeKaufman
New Contributor
I am working to create a Windows Mobile application with a editable layer that is a point feature class in a SQL Server 2008 R2 database using the geography spatial data type.  I have created a .mxd using ArcView and added the layer, then saved the mxd and published it to our Arc 10 Server.  However, when I bring the layer into the Mobile Project center the 'Editable' check box is grayed out.  Does anyone have any advice on how to enable editing?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimHopper
Occasional Contributor III
Feature Classes that you intend to edit in ArcGIS Mobile need to have Global ID's.
0 Kudos
LeeKaufman
New Contributor
Thanks Tim,

I am familiar with how to do this in ArcCatalog for a file geodatabases, however for the feature classes in my SQL Server database I do not see the Add Glogal ID's option that I have for a file geodatabases.  Can I use ArcView or a command on the SDE server or does this feature require ArcEdit/Info?

Thanks,
Lee
0 Kudos
TimHopper
Ah, my apologies.

In order to make a layer editable it must reside in either a single-user or multi-user geodatabase.  If it resides outside of a geodatabase, you will not be able to edit the layer in ArcGIS for Windows Mobile.  From the looks of it, you've just got a table outside of a geodatabase which has the geography spatial data type, correct?
0 Kudos
LeeKaufman
New Contributor
That is correct, the layer was added to the mxd via a Spatial Database connection.  Is there a way to keep the table in the existing SQL Server database and still expose it as editable in Windows Mobile?

Lee
0 Kudos
TimHopper
Unfortunately there isn't.  You would have to put it into a geodatabase which resides in SQL Server (at that point it would just become a feature class, wouldn't really be connected to the SQL Server spatial data type anymore).  Without the file being in a geodatabase, it cannot utilize the functionality required for editing.
0 Kudos