Is child replicated data able to be edited?

04-06-2016 11:08 AM
NickAlexandrou1
New Contributor III

I am trying to think of way to keep our data organized while enabling users to make field edits. If I have an SDE database that is where my analysts make edits and manage our data (DB - A), can I make a one-way replication of a specific dataset that is updated weekly to another SDE database (DB - B), which can then be edited by users? My question is, if the data that end users need to be editing is created and updated via a replication process from another DB, are end users still able to make field edits to the replicated data or are the database functions that prohibit this from being enabled?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You can make edits to any feature class in any geodatabase that you have read/write access to.  The field edits will stay until/unless the parent features are changed and synced.  This can be a good thing and a not so good thing at the same time.

Good thing example:  I maintain an SDE database where all edits are done, and replicate one way to a file geodatabse.  One of the feature classes I replicate is street centerlines.  I point several geocoding locators to child fgdb including a 'freeways' and a 'centerlines'.  When I initially created the centerlines replica, I deleted out all the freeways from the child fgdb for two reasons:

1. Freeways don't change as much or as often (if ever) as do surface streets

2. If I left the freeways in the centerlines, it goofs on my geocoding results

Not so good thing example: see above...  I needed to project/export centerline data out for another application, so I used my child feature class.  Once that was done, I gasped and said to myself:  what the **** happened to my freeways....

That should just about do it....
NickAlexandrou1
New Contributor III

So if users are making field edits to server based feature services in AGOL, it will update the child replica data they are referencing, however, whenever I run a new sync, all changes made and all data will convert to whatever state the Parent data is in when sending? That's kinda of a bummer if users are making edits for ongoing projects. Hmmmm.... I gotta ponder this for a bit. Thanks for your response!

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I'm not a AGOL guy, but lets say your field guy makes and edit to feature 1 of feature class A.  Field guy has that edit as long as feature 1 in feature class A is not edited in the parent  sde.  If it is edited in the parent, and the parent is synced to child ( in your case to your AGOL database) the parent and the child are 'in sync' (not the boy band).  That's what a two-way replica is for but both parent and child need to some flavor of sde database.  As the administrator, you can control the direction of the synchronization process: child to parent or parent to child or both ways. 

In my scenario, I have several agencies that have their own SDE databases so they have a two way replica set up. Let's say cities A,B & C all have their own SDE while cities D,E, F do not.  A,B, & C make edits to their local SDE database features while D,E,&F use a connection to my parent SDE to make their edits. Once A,B,& C perform a two way sync, they 'push' their local SDE edits to my SDE and at the same time 'pull' any edits that D,E & F have made to the parent.  The trick is having an m-o-u in place that states City A doesn't mess with City D's data and vice-versa.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos