Publishing to non-editable feature services when connected to a data store as Admin

09-27-2013 02:54 AM
MattJones
New Contributor III
When using ArcGIS Online, it is possible to edit feature services that are non-editable if you are logged in as an administrator. GeoEvent Processor cannot add or update features to a non-editable feature service, even when the arcgis.com data store has been set up using an administrator account. Is this a bug or a feature? Ideally we would like to be able to share feature services with the public but lock down editing to only administrators. If a feature service is made editable, both administrators and publishers are able to edit it - this is a concern in regards to accidental edits.

Any suggestions for a workaround/ solution?

Matt
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor
Hey Matt -

What I would recommend is that you publish the data you want GeoEvent Processor to be able to edit to your local ArcGIS for Server with the 'Feature Access' capability toggled on so that you have both a 'Map Service' and a 'Feature Service'. Then you can register your Server connection with GEP and configure a GeoEvent Service to add or update features.

From your AGOL account you then 'Add Item' > 'On the web' and provide the URL to your local Server's Map Service. For example:[HTML]http://localhost:6080/arcgis/rest/services/SampleWorldCities/MapServer/0[/HTML]

This way, AGOL should not allow you to toggle editing capability on the "republished" map service. Public consumers accessing the data through AGOL shouldn't be able to make any edits, and AGOL administrators shouldn't be able to accidentally edit the feature data.

Now, if your ArcGIS for Server site is within a DMZ, this may become a network topology issue. You may need to install and configure the Web Adapter to provide a publicly accessible URL for AGOL to use when accessing the map service you have hosted locally.

Is this approach viable for you?

- RJ
0 Kudos
MattJones
New Contributor III
Hi,

Thanks for your response.

The project is likely to draw considerable interest and demand for the web map displaying the GEP feed is likely to be high. We are concerned about scalability, which is why we chose AGOL for the feature service as opposed to a local instance of ArcGIS Server.

We may have to look into using a script to directly update an AGOL feature service, using the non-editable feature service's REST endpoint.

Back to the original question - is the fact GEP cannot write to an AGOL data store added using an administrator account a bug or a feature? Is it worth submitting an enhancement request?

Matt
0 Kudos
JavierDelgadillo
Esri Contributor
Matt,

GeoEvent Processor (GEP) not being able to update the feature when configured with an administrator account has to do with AGOL's security policy and/or the settings of the feature service you're writing to.  GEP doesn't distinguish between the roles, it merely uses the credentials to send the requests and the decision to allow or reject the operation ultimately lies with AGOL.

-Javier
0 Kudos
MattMcConnell
New Contributor
I, too, have this issue with regards to editing. I would like to allow Administrators of my organization to edit feature services while other users within my organization can only view the same services. Unfortunately, my Server is behind a firewall.

Has anyone determined a workflow or workaround for this?

Thanks

MTM
0 Kudos
MattJones
New Contributor III
Matt,

GeoEvent Processor (GEP) not being able to update the feature when configured with an administrator account has to do with AGOL's security policy and/or the settings of the feature service you're writing to.  GEP doesn't distinguish between the roles, it merely uses the credentials to send the requests and the decision to allow or reject the operation ultimately lies with AGOL.

-Javier

Hi Javier,

I do not think this is the case as we are able to add/ create/ delete features of a non-editable feature service using the ArcGIS REST API and an administrator-level token.

Matt
0 Kudos
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Matt -

Thank you for posting. I was able to confirm what you suggest, that a user can add/update features in an otherwise non-editable feature service using GeoEvent Processor. I conducted my tests with the 10.2.1 product release which should be publicly available the second week of January 2014.

Currently, GeoEvent Processor can only discover and target AGOL hosted feature services which you own. You cannot, for example, configure a GeoEvent Processor Output to update or add features to a feature service which has merely been shared with you. GeoEvent Processor looks for items owned by you listed when you review "?My Content"? in your Organization.

I suspect that because I "own"� the data, I was allowed to add/update features. We are, however, investigating this use case with the Server Usage support team. We will reply back to this thread if/when we learn anything more.

Best Regards -
RJ

Cross Reference:

Allow GeoEvent Processor to update non-editable AGOL feature services

0 Kudos