Issues with the K-Bessel model

05-30-2013 04:18 PM
BrianCarson4
New Contributor
I'm trying to use the Geostatistical Wizard to interpolate some count data. However, every time I get the number of lags small enough to eliminate the negative covariences and change the model type the wizard will run for a while with the software eventually
crashing. Is this something that may just be operator error?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Brian

I'm sorry to hear this.

Some questions:
- are you doing Areal Interpolation and do you have Service Pack 1 installed?
- what Operating system are you using?

Thanks
Steve
0 Kudos
BrianCarson4
New Contributor
I am doing Areal Interpolation. Running 10.1 SP1 on Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit. I finally got it to run once without crashing early this morning. However, it took almost 3 hours when switching from spherical to K-Bessel and when I tried to adjust the lag size to make the model fit better I ran into the same issues I was having before.
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
can you send me the data (slynch@esri.com) and the steps that you are following?
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
I�??m afraid to say that I am unable to reproduce this.

The only thing that we can think could happen is the following; many Geostat methods are multi-threaded (http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Parallel_processing_with_multiple_CPUs/003...) and what could be happening is that one thread is still calculating and a parameter is changed which means that that thread should be killed and a new one fired off.

One way, and I know that K Bessel takes a long time to process, is to wait for the model to finish updating before a parameter is changed.
0 Kudos