Update RSS Feed when Data is Updated

12-08-2022 07:27 AM
Labels (1)
BobNutsch1
Occasional Contributor

The concept of having an RSS feed from an ArcGIS Hub site is great.  It is very useful to be able to get a listing of content.

The RSS feed would have a much greater use case if the RSS feed would be triggered with a data update.  If this capability existed, I would promote our users to use RSS to be notified of data updates. This would save me time from having to manually send out those data update notices.

I envision that any time a hosted feature layer is updated (e.g., via Overwrite Web Layer), the RSS feed for that layer would push an update.

Thank you!

3 Comments
Emily_Nilson

Hi @BobNutsch1 , thank you for this idea!

So that I can better understand the need, a few questions for you: How often do you currently send out manual update notices for data updates? And approximately how many datasets are regularly updated/overwritten?

Thanks!

Emily

BobNutsch1

Hi Emily,

You are welcome and thank you for reaching out.

The frequency of the data notices varies depending on my schedule (i.e., it's easy to put off especially when busy on other things).  Sometimes 2 notices in a month, sometimes 1 in a month, other times, less frequent.  The number of datasets varies as well.  Some of the notices refer to 2 datasets, sometimes 8 (these are the updated datasets).

The thing that I'm finding now is that because of how we work together, a data steward may update their data and unless I know they've updated it, that notice doesn't go out or it goes out late, I'm a bottleneck in the process.

Thanks

Emily_Nilson

Thanks, @BobNutsch1, for the additional info - that's helpful!