How 'disciplined' is category card tag-based search?

02-28-2023 12:48 PM
Labels (1)
RandyMcGregor3
Occasional Contributor III

We are trying to use tags to control access to data in a hub site. We have devised very specific tags and added them to content. I am not sure, but I think the search is a little to 'broad.' What I mean is if I enter the tag 'hub-environmental' as a search criteria, I think it returns all content that has the word 'hub' OR 'environment' in its tags and lists too much data.

Is this the case? Is there a way to enforce strict tag-discipline so that the data comes up only if it has a tag that is identical to the one entered?

RandyMcGregor3_0-1677617255164.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JonathanMcD
New Contributor III

For me tags are, by design, meant to be broad and therefore should not be "strict" - they are there to return just as the example you've given. I would manage categories data returns by group or category. Alternatively, create search results as you wish to see them, take the url, publish it into AGOL as content, then use a card. But really, I'd just control this by groups or categories.
My own example; I've organisational data that I make available within an internal data catalogue and our open data site, I manage its visibility at group level, publishing to internal and external groups, and have three attached categories.

RandyMcGregor3
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for the info. I think I see how it's working. I had a situation where the title of an item included both words, so in this case 'Hub' and 'Environment' and the title was applied to tags by default. I think I can avoid this but tweaking tags when unwanted things show up. I started by using groups, but there was concern they'd be hard to track. Looks like whatever we decide on will create a tracking-challenge 🙂

0 Kudos
JonathanMcD
New Contributor III

I've around 75 groups created that manage data from an organisational point of view where data is shared with Teams/Service Areas, then for open data groups are designed to hold themes and categories of data. Once you get your head around groups, they are really useful. For open data, aside from just including a group to show content, I've taken specific search results and used the url to define the user path. Also means from an admin side, group managers and contributors will only see the data that's pertinent to them

0 Kudos