OpenData download problems

Jump to solution
12-02-2015 01:02 PM
deleted-user-Bkz8cHvtt5bs
New Contributor III

There have been quite a few issues lately with downloads of data.  I even tried to change most of the datasets taht are not versioned to be a manual cache so that I can ensure 1 good download on ESRI servers.  Unfortunately, I've been receiveing a lot of complaints from my users, particularly about this dataset:

http://geodata.myfwc.com/datasets/68fbc06232164ce6b6b0d046e906b885_0

Can this be fixed on ESRI's end?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
New Contributor III

After discussing this issue with other Florida State Government colleagues, it sounds like this is a common problem.  They have taking this issue to Tech support and played with their heap size to no avail.  Apparently this was logged as a bug  (BUG-000091676) and forwarded to the Open Data team for review back at the beginning of November.

We will try to play with the heap size on our servers to see if this may resolve our issues, but if you have any more insight into another possible remedy, I'd be very interested.

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1
Occasional Contributor III

Chris,

Now it looks like your network is blocking requests from the service that creates downloads. Can you check to see why you guys are blocking requests from “User-agent: featureservices-node”?

No downloads will be able to work if that is blocked.

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

I can look into it, but I have no idea how to set that setting.  If you have any insight into that setting please share.  I’ll do some google searches in the meantime.

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1

It’s not a setting on ArcGIS server. It would be something set at the network level. Perhaps there is an IT administrator you can speak to?

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Daniel,

Can you supply us with the full call request and the full error message that you’re receiving on your end?  When I log into OpenData Data Manager, I’m not seeing this error anywhere.  I can’t replicated what you’re seeing.

I don’t know if this will help you in your analysis of the issue, but the way our infrastructure is set up, we have a single server instance of ArcGIS Server sitting behind a reverse proxy which is in turn behind a firewall.

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1

This is likely at the firewall level. The block is preventing traffic from our servers from reaching yours. It’s not something you are going to see in your data manager and it’s not easy for you to replicate.

What’s being blocked is requests with a header specifying the user-agent: “featureservices-node”.

When I run this test `curl -H 'User-agent: featureservices-node' http://atoll.floridamarine.org/arcgis/rest/services/FWC_GIS/OpenData_Elevation/MapServer/0` I get an empty reply from your server. Meaning that this request was blocked. I only see this when specifying that user agent.

Here is some information about user agents in general: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_agent

New Contributor III

Daniel,

I've talked with our IT Network staff and they said that we are not blocking anything on our side.

Also, I was thinking about it and the results have been pretty inconsistent.  If what you're saying is true that our network is blocking some traffic due to this setting, wouldn't this affect all of our data downloads on OpenData? All of our services for OpenData are being populated from one server, but some datasets are downloading just fine. 

Anyway, we're going to try to alter the heap size this afternoon and see how that affects the failed downloads issue.  Hopefully we can come up with something else here soon.

Thanks again,

Chris

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1

It’s being blocked somewhere. Sending curl requests without that header leads to the information returning just fine. With that header blocked I cannot test for other possible problems.

This is what I see when I send a request with that header:

$curl -H 'User-agent: featureservices-node' http://atoll.floridamarine.org/arcgis/rest/services/FWC_GIS/OpenData_Elevation/MapServer/0\?f\=json

curl: (52) Empty reply from server

And with a different one:

$curl -H 'User-agent: foo' http://atoll.floridamarine.org/arcgis/rest/services/FWC_GIS/OpenData_Elevation/MapServer/0\?f\=json

{"currentVersion":10.22,"id":0,"name":"Bathymetry of Select Lakes in Florida","type":"Feature Layer","description”:” ….

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1

Hi Chris, I’ve been trying to debug someone else’s issue and it looks like the blocking maybe somehow be coming from my work network. Let me look into this.

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

oh, ok Daniel.  Good luck with that.

I just spent sometime with my coworker and we increased the heap size and restarted all of our services.  The website seems to be working a little bit better now, but I'm going to let a week or two pass before I can make an official determination.

Thanks for your help.  I'll let you know if i find anything else out.

Chris

0 Kudos