We're looking to track analytics on our open data site: opendata.dc.gov.

09-10-2014 07:52 AM
MattCrossett
New Contributor III

What are some of our options?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
MalcolmJ
Occasional Contributor II
0 Kudos
DanielFenton1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Malcolm, sorry for the delay on this. I've taken a look at the site and it appears that the tracking calls to Google Analytics are being made correctly. I am not sure what else I can do from my end to resolve your problem. Can you post some screenshots of your analytics dashboard that shows the referral spam?

Daniel

0 Kudos
MalcolmJ

Do you know if any other ESRI Open Data sites have been able to use Google analytics successfully?

It just seems strange that it will not record legitimate hits, but will record the spam ones. I assume legitimate hits are being recorded successfully on ESRI's google analytics?

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1

I don't know of any others off-hand, but I don't think you're the only one.

I agree, very strange. We do see only legitimate hits. Furthermore when I looked at your site, it appeared that the tracking calls for your profile were working.

We've discussed allowing users enter a google analytics tracker in the admin interface. We would then handle all the code. Is that something you or others would find useful?

MalcolmJ

Yes! That would be incredibly useful!

It would be much easier from my point of view if you could handle the code and I just have to put in the tracker ID. I think that would resolve all my problems with this. It would also be good for users with basic code skills (like myself...) who have to try follow the google developers guide...

Yes I would say many users would find this useful if they want to use google analytics to track their stats.

0 Kudos
MalcolmJ

Any idea if/when this might become available? Currently, we are unable to record the number of hits on our open data site and don't really have any idea if its being used or not...

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1

Hi Malcolm, I'm happy to report that we are currently working on adding deeper support for your Google Analytics. I don't have a release date yet, but I will update you when we have one.

MalcolmJ

Awesome! Thanks for the update

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1

Hi Malcolm, this feature has been released! Check out the site configuration tab in the Open Data admin. You can enter a Google Analytics key there. Make sure to remove your old script from your site or you'll get duplicate page views.

Here's some documentation about the feature: Configure your Open Data site—ArcGIS Open Data | ArcGIS

Let us know what you think!

0 Kudos
MalcolmJ

Excellent, thanks!

I'll give it a go and see how I get on.

0 Kudos